[alt.aquaria] Resealing & Tubiflex Worms

singlar@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Singlar) (05/07/88)

I am a rank beginner, and enjoy this news group immensely.  I hope
it achieves permanence as it is an excellent source of information
for both the novice and expert.  Does anybody know if a do-it-yourself
resealing job is a good idea on an older tank?  I have seen inexpensive
tubes of silicone aquarium sealant on the rack at pet stores (not to
mention one of the local drug stores as well as one of the local hardware
stores).  It seems this would be a cheap alternative to having it
professionally done.  Are there caveats or risks one should avoid?
Also, it was mentioned in another article that tubiflex worms often
cause disease in certain fish.  What's the deal with tubiflex worms?
What types of diseases do they spread and why?  Are only certain fish
susceptible?

-Steve Singlar

In article <7892@ihlpa.ATT.COM> singlar@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Singlar) writes:
>Does anybody know if a do-it-yourself
>resealing job is a good idea on an older tank?  I have seen inexpensive
>tubes of silicone aquarium sealant on the rack at pet stores (not to
>mention one of the local drug stores as well as one of the local hardware
>stores).

It's a LOT cheaper at hardware stores. PetShops are real rip-off
joints. Bascially if you can but whatever you need elsewhere, it
will be cheaper.

>It seems this would be a cheap alternative to having it
>professionally done.

If the tank just leaks from a joint, cut away as much of the old
sealent as you can with a razor blade, and just put a fillet of
sealent along the edge. It needs about 24+ hours to cure
completely, but in all honesty, I've got away with 6 hours
if a bit of heat was applied (light bulb).

The only think to watch out for is "Bathtub sealent" Silicone
cement comes in many colors, and the white sometimes contains
a small amount of arsenic to retard fungus in bathtub applications.

>Also, it was mentioned in another article that tubiflex worms often
>cause disease in certain fish.  What's the deal with tubiflex worms?
>What types of diseases do they spread and why?  Are only certain fish
>susceptible?

The disease seems to be hemmorhagic septicema (sp) or "the crud".
It manifests itself as reddish fins, and may spread a reddish cast
all over the tail region of the body. Just before they croak
they turn a nice pretty red all over.

I havn't experienced this disease while not feeding tubifex.

No fish seem to be immune from it. Too bad, because fish really like
them. Oh well. Frozen bloodworms are better anyway.

--
               noalias went. it really wasn't negotiable
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

titus@hpscdc.HP.COM (Scott Titus) (05/09/88)

>>Also, it was mentioned in another article that tubiflex worms often
>>cause disease in certain fish.  What's the deal with tubiflex worms?
>>What types of diseases do they spread and why?  Are only certain fish
>>susceptible?
>>

>The disease seems to be hemmorhagic septicema (sp) or "the crud".
>It manifests itself as reddish fins, and may spread a reddish cast
>all over the tail region of the body. Just before they croak
>they turn a nice pretty red all over.
>
>I havn't experienced this disease while not feeding tubifex.

I have notices that the few times that I have fed tubiflex worms, that my fish
developed ich in about a week or two. I have since stopped feeding them worms,
although they seemed to really enjoy them.

As a side question, this weekend while cleaning some of my tanks I saved the
water and noticed that there were worms in the water I drained. Could these be
tubiflex worms that fell to the bottom? It has been over a year since I feed
worms last. Anything I should worry about ??

Scott Titus                    { hplabs!hpscdc!hpscll!titus }

emiller@bbn.com (ethan miller) (05/11/88)

After hearing all these terrible stories about tubifex worms,
I'd like to know if this applies to live tubifex worms only, or
does it also apply to freeze-dried tubifex worms?  I've fed
freeze-dried worms for quite a while, and (I think) never had
any problems from them.

ethan
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
ethan miller              | "Life can only be understood backwards,
BBN Laboratories          |  but it must be lived forwards."
ARPAnet : emiller@bbn.com |	-- Binkley (Bloom County)
PHONEnet: (617) 873-3091  | Disclaimer: It's MY opinion, not BBN's.

In article <24387@bbn.COM> emiller@bbn.com (ethan miller) writes:
>After hearing all these terrible stories about tubifex worms,
>I'd like to know if this applies to live tubifex worms only, or
>does it also apply to freeze-dried tubifex worms?  I've fed
>freeze-dried worms for quite a while, and (I think) never had
>any problems from them.

Freeze dried worms are supposed to be safe; this is borne
out by my experience.

But arnt some "bugs" impervious to cold and vacuum ?

--

gary@grc.UUCP (Gary Sutcliffe) (05/12/88)

In article <3966@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <24387@bbn.COM> emiller@bbn.com (ethan miller) writes:
>>After hearing all these terrible stories about tubifex worms,
>>I'd like to know if this applies to live tubifex worms only, or
>>does it also apply to freeze-dried tubifex worms?
>
>Freeze dried worms are supposed to be safe; this is borne
>out by my experience.
>
>But arnt some "bugs" impervious to cold and vacuum ?

I have never had problems with them either.  I have heard that freeze drying
is one method used to  store some forms of viruses.

--
Gary Sutcliffe  (414) 644-8700
GENROCO, Inc.  Slinger, Wis.