[alt.aquaria] Wet/Dry Filters

cscholz@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (01/17/90)

I currently have a 55G saltwater tank that is using
a UG filter with two penguin 1140 power heads in ad-
dition to a Eheim canister filter. Fish are doing well
and so are the numerous inverts in the tank. My question
to all of you is... I want to convert to a Wet/Dry unit
and have seen many ads in FAMA. Do any of you have recom-
on what units might be better than others or key things to
look for when purchasing a unit? I also do not want one
that just hangs on the back but one that sits in the cabinet
underneath and has room for things like a protein skimmer
and heater?

Thanks,
Chris
.

hutching%elan.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Brad Hutchings) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan16.211206.16049@agate.berkeley.edu> cscholz@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu () writes:
>I currently have a 55G saltwater tank that is using
>a UG filter with two penguin 1140 power heads in ad-
>dition to a Eheim canister filter. Fish are doing well
>and so are the numerous inverts in the tank. My question
>to all of you is... I want to convert to a Wet/Dry unit
>and have seen many ads in FAMA. Do any of you have recom-
>on what units might be better than others or key things to
>look for when purchasing a unit? I also do not want one
>that just hangs on the back but one that sits in the cabinet
>underneath and has room for things like a protein skimmer
>and heater?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>.

I have a unit that I purchased from Exotic Aquatics. It is the "Total Reef"
unit as listed in the FAMA ads. I know the guy who owns the company and
was able to go down and pick one up from his house. It is an excellent
unit and has a built-in protein skimmer that works quite well. I drive
the skimmer with a Whisper 800. The only disadvantage is that it is
somewhat narrow and the only heater that I could get to fit was a DanSea
model (200 W). I prefer VisiTherm heaters but the DanSea does a *fair*
job of keeping the teperature up (the VisiTherm was better). I would
recommend Exotic Aquatics as far as mail-order places go. I have no ties
to the company other than personally knowing the owner.

Brad

P.S.

The phone number for Exotic Aquatics is:
1-800-733-9684 (1-800-73-EXOTIC) (ignore the 'C').