[alt.aquaria] Algae--Re: new marine tank question

ken@cbmcats.UUCP (Ken Farinsky) (01/20/90)

In article <3573@cpoint.UUCP> alien@cpoint.UUCP (Alien Wells) writes:

>...Brown slime algae is the first to appear.  It
>really doesn't matter too much what you do it it (as long as you don't
>try to remove it from the tank), cleaning it off the glass will just cause
>it to move elsewhere.
>
>This slime algae will eventually cover everything.  If your water quality
>is good, it will gradually be replaced by bright green algae.  You will have
>to regularily clean any glass surfaces you want kept clear (for viewing).

Good ol' brown slime algae...My tank seems to constantly fill with the
stuff, and I keep taking it out.  Now I hear "don't take it out".  Why?
How do I keep the stuff from clogging my undergravel filter?  Can I take
out some of it and be safe?  Can I vacuum the gravel?

Could someone please post an explaination of the algae cycle in the
marine aquarium?  Include information on what you do with the stuff,
and how lighting effects the whole thing.  I'm sure that I'm not the
only one confused.

Better yet, email me and I will post a summary.

Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken