[alt.aquaria] Biological filter question

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (01/20/90)

*Subject: Re: Re: Home Made (F) Fish Food Recipes Wanted...
*Newsgroups: alt.aquaria,sci.aquaria,rec.aquaria
*
*.......... Also, the bigger and
*sturdier pieces give the fish something to worry at, and don't tend to
*get lost or sucked into the filter like flake food does.

Does anyone know how long the bacteria colonies in a biological filter
can go without water circulation before they die???

I built a box that my power filters plug into.  There is a button on the box
that shuts off the power to the power filter for 10 minutes.  This way I can
hit the button, throw food into the tank, check to make sure the
fish are all eating, and I'm done.  I don't need to remember to turn
the filter back on.  And I don't get food sucked into the filter that
I would by leaving it on or turning the flow rate down to the low setting.

I have undergravel filters that a quite capable of the biological filtration
needs for my tanks.  The power filters are for mechanical/charcoal filtration,
so I'm not real concerned about the bacteria in the power filter, but I am
curious.  My fish don't all die after a short power failure, so the bacteria
can obviously live for a while with things turned off, but I have never seen
any studies/statistics.

Frank Ball          frankb@hpsad.HP.COM