[alt.hypertext] electronic document maintenance and retrieval systems

rolandi@gollum.UUCP (wgr) (04/21/89)

What should one read to be up on electronic document maintenance and
retrieval systems?  What systems are commercially available and which
are the best?  What features should commercial systems have in order
to be competitive?

Thanks.

Walter Rolandi
rolandi@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
(insert your feed here)!ncrlnk!ncrcae!rolandi
NCR Advanced Systems Development
Columbia, SC  USA

andrew@dgbt.uucp (Andrew Patrick) (04/28/89)

In article <221@gollum.UUCP> rolandi@gollum.UUCP (Walter G. Rolandi) writes:

>What should one read to be up on electronic document maintenance and
>retrieval systems?  What systems are commercially available and which
>are the best?  What features should commercial systems have in order
>to be competitive?

You might try beginning with "Introduction to modern information
retrieval" by G. Salton & M.J. McGill (McGraw Hill, 1983).  I found it
a good introduction.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         Communications Research Centre
  (613) 990-4675              Department of Communications, Ottawa, Canada