[alt.hypertext] summary hyperCmedia

conklin@topaz.rutgers.edu (Robert) (12/17/89)

People,

A while back I had posted a query for information concerning a product
called hyperCmedia.  I'd like to thank all those that replied via e-mail
and also those that posted to the net.

Most replies came from people that had seen the product at UNIX EXPO and one
from the editor of Sun Expert Magazine.  The replies ranged from reasonably
positive to negative to one that I found particularly interesting.

One reasonably positive reply came from

>jonathan@axecore.UUCP (Jonathan Eunice) writes:

Product description and name and address of company deleted.

>Aside from library calls, the toolkit includes an ms-like macro package
>that can be used to make hypertext documents/programs out of text
>files.  To do this, you embed macro commands in a text file, much as
>you might use troff macros.  (You do use troff, don't you?) Aside from
>formatting commands, these macros specify links to other documents and
>sections.  Then you run the text through a tool that yields a an
>executable hypertext application.  Paradise's demonstration of a
>hypertext UNIX manual is rather impressive, IMO.  And, best of all,
>producing it was "almost" automatic.
>
>Of course, I've only seen this thing once, in demonstration mode.
>I've never tried to use it, and most of the above details come from
>Paradise literature.  Caveat lector.

Another pretty neutral (totally informational) reply came from

>guy@auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

>An ad for Paradise Software's "hyperCmedia" toolkit appears in the
>premiere issue of SunExpert magazine.  The ad says that it "provides the
>programmer with a library of C functions which can be used to embed
>hypermedia documents within an application".  The toolkit currently
>works with SunView, on Sun-3 and SPARC machines, under 4.x; they state
>that they'll be making it run under X11 as well (whether "raw" or under
>a toolkit, and under which toolkit, they don't state).
>
>The address of Paradise Software is:
>
>	Paradise Software, Inc.
>	RD1 Box 467A
>	Lambertville, NJ   08530
>
>	(609) 397-4142

The only negative reply came from a gentleman at hp whose message
I seem to have misplaced (sorry -- maybe he'll see this and re-post),
but to paraphrase it:

>I was unimpressed.

The one reply that I found quite interesting came from the editor of
Sun Expert --

>dfickes@expert.com (David Fickes) writes:

>I've heard of it since they are one of our advertisers! Shall
>I send you a copy of the magazine so you can contact them
>directly. (I don't happen to have a copy handy right now...)
>
>- david

What struck me was that he offered me a copy of an issue (which I
thought was quite nice) -- thanx Dave.

Again, I'd like to thank all who replied.  Please enjoy the holiday season.

Robert Conklin
conklin@topaz.rutgers.edu