[alt.hypertext] Hypermedia Navigation

A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz (Alan Stenhouse) (01/12/90)

Hi! I am currently doing my masterate in Computer Science and am intending
to do my thesis in the area of Navigating Hypermedia and implications for
the User Interface.

At the moment, I think that there are a variety of tools that need to be
provided to users in order to accomodate the varying needs of different
classes of users, tasks, etc. One of the many tools that seem to be
needed is a map facility which enables a user to see where they have been,
where they currently are, and where they may go from here.

As a special project, I am thinking of developing such a map facility
for HyperCard. However, I'm sure that someone must have attempted this
before, and if not then why not?

Would you share any ideas you have about all of this with me? I'd be very
grateful for any comments, suggestions, hints :-), etc. Or any suggestions
as to what might be a better / more interesting / more useful project?

Thanks a lot!

Alan

* Alan Stenhouse	         | Phone     +64 63 69099 ext. 8745
* School of Information Sciences | Fax.      +64 63 505611
* Massey University	         | Internet: A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz
* Palmerston North		 |       Hyperspatial Navigator
* New Zealand                    |       D O N ' T   P A N I C!

ubmaria@vax87.aud.auc.dk (01/19/90)

In article <204cs-sunc@massey.ac.nz>, A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz (Alan Stenhouse) writes:
> Hi! I am currently doing my masterate in Computer Science and am intending
> to do my thesis in the area of Navigating Hypermedia and implications for
> the User Interface.
>
> At the moment, I think that there are a variety of tools that need to be
> provided to users in order to accomodate the varying needs of different
> classes of users, tasks, etc. One of the many tools that seem to be
> needed is a map facility which enables a user to see where they have been,
> where they currently are, and where they may go from here.
>
> As a special project, I am thinking of developing such a map facility
> for HyperCard. However, I'm sure that someone must have attempted this
> before, and if not then why not?
>
> Would you share any ideas you have about all of this with me? I'd be very
> grateful for any comments, suggestions, hints :-), etc. Or any suggestions
> as to what might be a better / more interesting / more useful project?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Alan
>
> * Alan Stenhouse	         | Phone     +64 63 69099 ext. 8745
> * School of Information Sciences | Fax.      +64 63 505611
> * Massey University	         | Internet: A.Stenhouse@massey.ac.nz
> * Palmerston North		 |       Hyperspatial Navigator
> * New Zealand                    |       D O N ' T   P A N I C!
The stack "Wings for the mind" by Apple on multimedia has a fine map facility,
and several other fine ideas as well.
I would very much appreciate receiving a reference to your thesis when it is
finished, as the problem is a good one.