[alt.hypertext] Hypertext on IBM-PCs

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (06/03/90)

> A faculty member on our campus has asked about hypertext software for IBM
> clones.  They're interested in any type (PD, shareware, and commercial).
> They said that they'd like graphics to be included in their data.

> Paul Motsuk, motsuk@cua.bitnet, motsuk%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu

I've read a little bit about such packages; I don't have any direct
experience.  I can give you some pointers.

IBM has jumped into this market with a product called LinkWay.  All I
know about this is that it's described in a book called IBM LINKWAY:
HYPERMEDIA FOR THE PC (written by Richard Harrington, Bill Fancher, and
Peter Black, and published by John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-51298-2).

Another Wiley book, DESIGNING INTELLIGENT FRONT ENDS FOR BUSINESS
SOFTWARE (Dan Shafer, ISBN 0-471-60114-4), describes two expert system
shells with graphics and hypertext capabilities:  Paperback Software's
VP Expert, and Knowledge Pro from Knowledge Garden.  The latter company
also has a version of that software for MS-Windows.  Guide, from Owl,
is another Windows-based hypertext system.

I found a few shareware hypertext systems in the Public Brand Software
catalog.  One (disk TO3.0) has two programs named KnowledgePro and
TextPro; the latter is the run-time module for the former.  These are
somehow related to Knowledge Garden's products, but I'm not sure how.
There's no registration fee (it's listed as "bannerware").

Black Magic (version 1.5, TO1a.0, TO1b.0, TO1c.0, $40-80 registration
fee) "works best in EGA, but CGA and Hercules graphics are supported".
It requires 640K and a hard disk, and a mouse is recommended.  Yes, it
supports graphics, as well as EMS memory, and has some sort of
programmer's interface.  PBS gives this package a trophy, meaning that
it's one of the "best program[s] anywhere for the task".  Note that
this comes on three disks.  Disk RD31.0, Reg-in-a-Box, is a Black Magic
hypertext application, complete with the MagRead display program; it's
"the official rules for underground storage tanks (part 280 of the EPA
regulations".  This is PBS's sixth most popular disk.  Strange. . . .

There's also Hypershell (disk TO9.0, fifty pound (!) registration fee),
which doesn't appear to support graphics.

My source is the Public Brand Software catalog; they're a good source
of public domain and shareware software.  They're not the cheapest
around, but their catalog has saved me lots of time.  They list the
shareware registration fees up front, so you know what you'll be
getting into if you like the product.  They test nearly everything (and
check it all for viruses), and they're an approved vendor of the
Association of Shareware Professionals.  They haven't made a mistake in
any of my orders.  PBS is at P.O. Box 51315, Indianapolis, IN, USA
46251, 1-800-426-3475 (voice, U.S.A.), 1-800-727-3476 (voice, Indiana),
1-317-856-7571 (Indianapolis), all twenty-four hours a day for orders
or requests for catalogs.  They also have a business phone
(1-317-856-4144), and a $50/year BBS (1-317-856-2087).  They take
personal checks, Visa, MasterCard, money orders, COD ($5 charge), and
P.O.s for at least $65.  They charge $5/disk (5.25" or 3.5"), plus
$5/order.  (The comp.sys.ibm.pc folks are probably tired of hearing
about this place from me, but the catalog contains answers to a lot of
net.requests.)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

rwb@castle.ed.ac.uk (Richard Bingham) (06/03/90)

In article <4652@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>> A faculty member on our campus has asked about hypertext software for IBM
>> Paul Motsuk, motsuk@cua.bitnet, motsuk%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu
>
>I've read a little bit about such packages; I don't have any direct
>experience.  I can give you some pointers.
>
>IBM has jumped into this market with a product called LinkWay.  All I
>know about this is that it's described in a book called IBM LINKWAY:
>HYPERMEDIA FOR THE PC (written by Richard Harrington, Bill Fancher, and
>Peter Black, and published by John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-51298-2).
...   has a version of that software for MS-Windows.  Guide, from Owl,
>is another Windows-based hypertext system.
>Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Thanks for the useful review of what is available.  I can report that I
have tried Linkway and Guide.

Linkway is being sold in the U.K. by IBM at a price (to educational institutes)
which makes most shareware seem rather expensive.  Their price was almost
too low to refuse!  However I didn't like it very much as it seems a bit
clumsy to use - in particular the text editor is a pain, particularly if
you try and import text from other files.  I never did solve how to import
pre-drawn graphics - although the manual is very readable, it often lacks
essential details when things start to go wrong.  However it does have
the advantage of not requiring MS-Windows, so that it will run on a fairly
basic PC and in most screen modes (though in MCGA mode it doesn't look too
nice).

I much prefer Guide, though it definitely helps to have a powerful processor.
I started with Guide on an ordinary XT clone, and it was *slow*.  Now I have
it on a 386 machine, with 8 MB RAM, and it goes very nicely indeed.

Richard Bingham

--
Richard W. Bingham, Dept. of Veterinary Pathology, University of Edinburgh,
Summerhall,  Edinburgh,  EH9 1QH,  Scotland

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (06/05/90)

> A faculty member on our campus has asked about hypertext software for IBM
> clones.  They're interested in any type (PD, shareware, and commercial).
> They said that they'd like graphics to be included in their data.
>
> Paul Motsuk, motsuk@cua.bitnet, motsuk%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu

Try:

HyperBase       $99     Cogent Software  (508-875-6553)
HyperTies      $349?    Cognetics Corp   (609-799-5005)
IBM LinkWay    $110     IBM Educ Systems (404-238-3245)
KnowledgePro   $495     Knowledge Garden (518-766-3000)
Houdini & related systems, various prices  MaxThink (415-428-0104)
Guide (of course)
WildCard       ?        Spinnaker Corp.

Some of these are discussed in the Mar 20, 1989, issue of PC-Week;
I'm not sure if they are all still funct.

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (06/05/90)

Glenn Stone writes:

> Try:

> HyperBase       $99     Cogent Software  (508-875-6553)
> HyperTies      $349?    Cognetics Corp   (609-799-5005)
> IBM LinkWay    $110     IBM Educ Systems (404-238-3245)
> KnowledgePro   $495     Knowledge Garden (518-766-3000)
> Houdini & related systems, various prices  MaxThink (415-428-0104)
> Guide (of course)
> WildCard       ?        Spinnaker Corp.

> Some of these are discussed in the Mar 20, 1989, issue of PC-Week;
> I'm not sure if they are all still funct.

Also try

HyperPad     $150?     Brightbill-Roberts & Co
BookTool	?	Run version included with Windows 3.0

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language is to cast spells on other people ..."
								Lisa S Chabot

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (06/06/90)

There is one PD hypertext sytem with advanced but unstable features.
It supports EGA-grafics, mouse, import of graphics (a snapshot prog for
EGA-screens is included), 4 button-types including buttons embedded in
graphics and calling other DOS-programs, some good examples including an
online manual and a commented map of the USA.
The name is Black Magic and can be obtained from the SIMTEL library as
msdos/hypertext/magic15a.arc and ...magic15b.arc.
We are hoping that NTERGAID will release a version which doesn't hang after
a few keystrokes........
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (06/07/90)

In <1990Jun4.171447.24041@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:

>> A faculty member on our campus has asked about hypertext software for IBM
>> clones.  They're interested in any type (PD, shareware, and commercial).
>> They said that they'd like graphics to be included in their data.
>Try:

>HyperBase       $99     Cogent Software  (508-875-6553)
>Houdini & related systems, various prices  MaxThink (415-428-0104)
>WildCard       ?        Spinnaker Corp.

>Some of these are discussed in the Mar 20, 1989, issue of PC-Week;
>I'm not sure if they are all still funct.

I've pared down the list to those I know something about.  Comments:

The $100 version of HyperBase is the personal version:  it can only creates
Hypertexts that need a copy of Personal HyperBase to run.  To create
compiled versions anybody can run, you need the professional version,
which costs about $400 (I think) but also allows you to add some "smarts"
to your hypertext with compiled C, Cogent Prolog, etc.  Both versions
have a built-in Prolog interpreter, and if I ever learn Prolog I'll have
to get this product and try it out.

I've never used Houdini, but I own MaxThink's flagship product, MaxThink.
This company is really good at applying unusual and creative ideas to
software, but their user interfaces are documentation are poorly thought-
out and obviously designed willy-nilly.  MaxThink is one of those products
you buy with high hopes and excitement for what it can do, but ends up
gathering dust because you get tired of puzzling out the manual and
fighting the controls.

If WildCard is the same product I recently read about, it allegedly
has an intriguing feature:  it can import Macintosh Hypercard stacks
(provided, of course you can get them onto MS-DOS media) *as-is*.
If this is true, it means that the WildCard user community will
just be an extension of the Hypercard user community -- always a
powerful argument in favor of a program.

dano@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dan Olson) (06/08/90)

In article <12858@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>If WildCard is the same product I recently read about, it allegedly
>has an intriguing feature:  it can import Macintosh Hypercard stacks
>(provided, of course you can get them onto MS-DOS media) *as-is*.
>If this is true, it means that the WildCard user community will
>just be an extension of the Hypercard user community -- always a
>powerful argument in favor of a program.

Another package called PLUS, which is already available on the
Macintosh, reads HyperCard stacks directly and was/is supposed to be
available for the PC.  If it really works, it would seemingly open up
a whole bunch of stackware to the PC.  Only problem is, most of the
good stacks are dependent on XCMDs and XFCNs.  These are 68000 Mac code
resources, which I can't image being runnable on a Intel based
machine, unless you want to try to emulate 68000 machine code - could
be kinda slow - and the Mac toolbox routines.

One other hitch to these PC - HyperCard reading products, I 've heard
that Apple probably won't appreciate it, since the file formats for
HyperCard, I believe, are proprietary.  PLUS on the Mac and SuperCard are
ok, since they help sell Macs, but on the PC, that's a no-no.

--
Dan Olson  (UUCP ..!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!dano)
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (06/11/90)

In article <3390@ssc-vax.UUCP> dano@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dan Olson) writes:
>One other hitch to these PC - HyperCard reading products, I 've heard
>that Apple probably won't appreciate it, since the file formats for
>HyperCard, I believe, are proprietary.  PLUS on the Mac and SuperCard are
>ok, since they help sell Macs, but on the PC, that's a no-no.

IMHO HyperCard was a great idea, but trying to keep this type of product
proprietary is not only rude, but also dooms the product to failure.  I
consider HyperCard a limited HyperText system, and the power of HyperText
systems is in the ability to exchange information objects maintained by
such a system.  Having proprietary interfaces and formats severely limits
the ultimate size of the community that can exchange data, and in any case
no one company should ever own a universal standard.  I think that people
who really want and understand the value of universal hypermedia system
also understand why it needs to be based on open standards.

Gerry Gleason