[alt.hypertext] A newsgroup for HCI/UI?

fabio@dm.unibo.it (Fabio Vitali) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb21.024959.6698@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>Does anyone know of a group devoted to issues about Human Computer
>Interaction / User Interfaces? If there is none, how does one go about
>setting one up?

I, for one, would appreciate it very much. It's just that I don't think
it would work. I mean, I read alt.hypertext and comp.groupware, and,
apart for some (very few) messages from people needing advice, they are
mostly dedicated to announcements for conferences and seminars. There is
no flame, no sharing, no discussion on them. In short, they are moribund
newsgroups.
I fear very much the same would happen in the field of HCI. It is too
broad a subject, with too many open issues about it, so that, I think,
everyone would fear too much of starting a flame war on anything, and
would not post anything that was not widely acceptable and, therefore,
obvious, in such newsgroup.
Anyway, I strongly agree on the necessity of this kind of subject. I
just wish a little bit of sharing was going on on Hypermedia, Groupware,
Human Computer Interaction, etc.
They started pretty interesting, Nelson and such, and became boring and
sooo academic and cautious ("You must have missed my paper at the III
Conference on Hypertexts and Cabbages, which explained why such approach
wouldn't work") not to be interesting anymore.

>Please e-mail me, and I will summarize if there is interest.

I didn't, not because I don't know how to do it, but because I wanted to
light up the discussion a bit, here. I crossposted to alt.hypertext as
well, and suggest to add also comp.mac.system, comp.amiga.something,
comp.atari.something, comp.os.msdos.windows, comp.unix.xwindow, etc. (I
don't actually know the names of most of those, so I leave the
crossposting to someone else).
So, please, don't email him, let's discuss it publicly.

>kartik

Ciao
Fabio

--
Fabio Vitali                  There's a clear morale to this tale, now that
Dept of Computer Science     I think about it: when you're dead you're dead.

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (03/01/91)

   I agree that it would be nice to talk about HCI/UI, but what can we talk
about? Well, here's a topic:
    Anyone know of any mail order companies that have the Mattel PowerGlove
for the Nintendo systems? I have the schematics for connecting it up to
my NeXT and a source program to play with, but no one in Ithaca sells them.
:-(
   Also, does anyone have the tech docs for the PowerGLove? I'd like to
know exactly how to operate it (line-level signals and all) rather than
rely on someone else's code.

	- Jiro Nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

news@linus.mitre.org (News Service) (03/01/91)

Therre is a problem with the PowerGlove - the data from it is encrypted.  I have
been working on a research proposal (following the one at the University of
Virginia) to develop a virtual reality test bed using a Power Glove as a data
input device.  My friend at UVA ended up getting a "black box" from the
manufacturer so he could use it.  I beleive there is a thread on another BB
about this, but I do not know the BB.
From: bkillam@ccels3 (bill killam)

Bill Killam

chalmers@EuroPARC.Xerox.COM (Matthew Chalmers) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar1.145023.29363@linus.mitre.org>, news@linus.mitre.org (News Service) writes:
> Therre is a problem with the PowerGlove - the data from it is encrypted.  I have
> been working on a research proposal (following the one at the University of
> Virginia) to develop a virtual reality test bed using a Power Glove as a data
> input device.  My friend at UVA ended up getting a "black box" from the
> manufacturer so he could use it.  I beleive there is a thread on another BB
> about this, but I do not know the BB.
> From: bkillam@ccels3 (bill killam)
>
> Bill Killam

This comes up every few weeks or so in the sci.virtual.worlds newsgroup.
Check it out.

Regards,

--Matthew

P.S. I doubt comp.cog-eng is the right place for discussion on the range of
subjects I considered the original poster on this subject to be interested
in. I suppose comp.graphics, comp.cog-eng, comp.groupware & alt.hypertext
collectively cover the range, but somewhat incoherently due to the varying
levels of 'techie-ness' in each. Shame.