[alt.hypertext] Multimedia/hypertext tools for Sun Sparcstation wanted

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (05/09/91)

I am working on a project which will eventually include the conversion of
existing HyperCard stackware to a form that will run on Sun Sparcstations,
as well as writing new applications to run on the Sun platform.  Right now,
I am attempting to evaluate as many software products which will help
accomplish this as possible.

My question is this:  what multimedia/hypertext systems are available which
will run on Suns?  I already know about Viola and HyperNeWS, but are there
any others?  For financial reasons I am most interested in ones that are
free or available on some sort of inexpensive license to educational
institutions, but I would still appreciate information on any commercial
products which exist in this area as well.  (Specifically, anything that
allows easy conversion of HyperCard stacks, or better yet reads them
directly, would be *extremely* useful, because we have a fair amount of
pre-existing HyperCard stuff we would like to convert.)

Please respond by e-mail, and I will post a summary.

Thanks!
--Rob Tillotson  (Purdue University, Freshman Engineering)
--
Rob Tillotson                         Internet:  akl@mace.cc.purdue.edu
400 N. River Rd. #1418                  BITNET:  ROBT@PURCCVM

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (05/13/91)

Rob> I am working on a project which will eventually include the conversion of
Rob> existing HyperCard stackware to a form that will run on Sun
Rob> Sparcstations, ...

Interesting, but isn't this something Apple would frown upon?  (Otherwise,
wouldn't there be other conversion systems for Hypercard stacks?)
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

ec1k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward P. Costello) (05/13/91)

On 12-May-91 in Re: Multimedia/hypertext to..
user David S. Masterson@uunet writes:

>Rob> I am working on a project which will eventually include the conversion of
>Rob> existing HyperCard stackware to a form that will run on Sun
>Rob> Sparcstations, ...
>
>Interesting, but isn't this something Apple would frown upon?  (Otherwise,
>wouldn't there be other conversion systems for Hypercard stacks?)

Not necessarily, "Plus" (used to be from Olduvai Systems, now?) can read
in HyperCard stacks and convert them for use on the MS-Dos& OS/2
versions of Plus.  SuperCard (from Silicon Beach) can read in HyperCard
stacks and convert them to SuperCard projects (also convert them to
free-standing by rather large applications).  I don't know if SuperCard
runs on other platforms yet.

-ed c

Ed Costello	<ec1k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
MA in Professional/Technical Writing Program (I hope :-)
Carnegie Mellon University

almquist@brahms.udel.edu (Squish) (05/16/91)

There is a Multimedia/hypertext demo on the SUNOS4.1 release for openwin.
There are the programs and the src.  Might be helpful.  It gives one some neat
ideas and some source to work with.  Perhaps the demos are on the net
somewhere.

- Mike Almquist