[alt.hypertext] Movie Browsing System ?

sdl@lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/20/91)

In article <xf-l2kf@rpi.edu> radhika@ecse.rpi.edu (Radhika Sathyamurthy) writes:

> I would like to know if there is a hypertext system which
> lets you browse through motion films. That is it has a
> database of digitized movies and lets more than one user
> access this database at one time. Also if this is available,
>
> a.) does it allow more than one user to access one film at the
> same time and
>
> b.) does it allow more than one user to access the same film
> at different times.

An interesting research prototype is "IMPACT", an authoring system for
motion pictures that lets you browse through and edit the various
scenes and cuts of a single motion picture.  A good reference is:
"IMPACT: An Interactive Natural Motion Picture Dedicated Multimedia
Authoring System," by Hirotada Ueda et al., ACM CHI '91 Proceedings,
27 April - 2 May 1991.

IMPACT appears to be a single user system.

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

radhika@ecse.rpi.edu (Radhika Sathyamurthy) (06/20/91)

I would like to know if there is a hypertext system which
lets you browse through motion films. That is it has a
database of digitized movies and lets more than one user
access this database at one time. Also if this is available,

a.) does it allow more than one user to access one film at the
same time and

b.) does it allow more than one user to access the same film
at different times.

Any references that you can provide will also be appreciated.

						Radhika Sathyamurthy
						radhika@ecse.rpi.edu