[rec.food.recipes] FISH: Peanut Satay Sauce

malloy@crash.cts.com (Sean Malloy) (07/02/90)

In article <1990Jun30.055512.19676@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> a969@mindlink.UUCP (Lynda Murray) writes:
>...as I was reminded."What's Sate without peanuts.".well, there was a recipe on
>here away back for PEANUT SAUCE and I dutifully wrote it down.
>I know it contained CHILI OIL...so I ran out and bought the oil..
>NOW I can't find the recipe...the story of my life.
>Does anyone have a copy of that recipe ?
>Please post it...it would go so well with my Chicken Sate.

Satay Sauce
----- -----

Part 1
3 large fresh chili peppers, coarsely chopped
3 shallots, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 slices fresh (or dried and soaked) galanga, coarsely chopped

Place ingredients in dry frying pan and cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, just until they begin to change color. Place into blender or
food processor.

Part 2
1 tbsp chopped fresh lemon grass (or 1.5 tbsp powdered)
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Add to blender and spin to a smooth paste.

Part 3
2 cups coconut milk
1.5 tbsp raw sugar
3 tbsp tamarind water
1.5 tbsp fish sauce (_nam pla_)
1/3 c. white sesame seeds
1.5 c. coarsely chopped or crushed peanuts

Place 1/2 c. coconut milk in a frying pan and heat over medium heat. Add
the paste and stir until the oma is released -- around 1 minute. Add
remaining coconut milk, bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil gently
for 3 minutes. Add sugar, tamarind water, and fish sauce, simmer for 4
minutes. Remove from heat.

Toast the sesame seeds and grind roughly. Add sesame seeds and peanuts to
sauce, and let the sauce cool. Sprinkle with coriander leaves before
serving; serve at room temperature.

Note: In place of the paste from parts 1 and 2, you can substitute 2-3 tbsp
of Muslim curry paste (_gang masaman_).

Sean Malloy					    | "What are ... Whores-
  {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, ucsd, nosc}!crash!malloy   | Doovres?"
  ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc			    | "Or-derves. It's a Frog
Navy Personnel Research and Development Center	    | word that means
San Diego, CA 92152-6800			    | munchies."
  UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, ucsd}!nprdc!malloy   | "Oh. They could have
  ARPA: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil			    | said."