[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Flan

groll@uunet.uu.net (Jayne Gordon Groll) (07/08/90)

In article <1990Jul5.170527.1035@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, 54325eh@homxa.att.com (Elin C Upperco) writes:
> I'm looking for any and all good flan recipes. My husband loves
> flan and I am not able to find a really good recipe. I have had
> the typical flan with caramel sauce and flan with maple syrup and
> flan with cream cheese...all were great! but, alas, I have no recipes
> (I asked for them but people just keep forgetting!!).

This is a great recipe for flan - the secret - don't rush the removal and
make  sure that it is baked through - otherwise it will be runny in the
center.

		    FLAN

14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
3 ounces cream cheese, softened

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In the workbowl of a blender or food processor, combine the sweetened
condensed milk, 1/2 cup water, eggs, vanilla and softened cream cheese.
Process at medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth and
slightly thick.

In a small saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water.  Heat
over a low heat, stirring constantly, until boiling and light brown in
color (5 to 10 minutes).
Immediately transfer sugar-water mixture to an ungreased souffle pan or
glazed ceramic mold.
Spread mixture evenly around bottom of pan.  Place pan or mold in
a 9 inch round cake pan filled with very
hot (not boiling) water.

Pour the blended cream cheese mixture evenly over the caramel.
Bake for 1 hour or until top is brown and an inserted toothpick
comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool in pan for 1/2 hour.

One hour prior to serving,
loosen the sides of the pan with a non-serrated knife.  Invert pan over
a serving tray and tap bottom gently to release flan.
(The caramel will drip over the top and sides of the pudding.)
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Enjoy -

Jayne