[rec.food.recipes] FISH: Sushi

louie@rruxi.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (07/12/90)

I usually don't like to comment on someone's recipe, but Aviva
Garret's posting:

     Date: 28 Jun 90 17:00:49 GMT
     Sender: aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg)
     Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Daggett Drive / San Jose CA
     aviva@ultra.com  ...!ames!ultra!aviva  (408) 922-0100

can really ruin one of my favorite dish.  You can't make sushi's
sticky rice by adding sugar to regular long grain rice as
suggested.  It is a special specie the Japanese grows.  I will
attach my recipe below.  I do not consider myself to be a great
sushi chef (John Bulushi might be better), but my creations come
close to those of Tokyo street vendors.  REMEMBER! You can't fake
the ingredients.  No lox for fresh salmon, sugar in rice, etc...
You must shop in a genuine Japanese grocery store.  Not even your
local oriental food store!

                           INGREDIENTS

Japanese Rice (Naturally Sticky, short grain)
Japanese White Vinegar (Made from ingredients of Sake Wine)
Sesame Oil
Dried Seaweed (optional; sushi type, not for making soap)
Wasabe (I like the one that comes in a toothpaste like tube)
Fish

                           PROCEDURES

Rice:

Use the same measuring cup for both the rice and water.  The
proportion is 2 parts water for 1 part rice.  The amount to be
cooked depends on your appetite.  For 20 pieces, use about 1/2 cup
of rice.  If you don't have an automatic rice cooker use a non-
stick pot.  For 1/2 cup rice, add 1 TBL of vinegar and 1/3 tsp of
salt.  Mixed.  High heat until starting to boil, then lower the
heat to just maintain boiling.  DO NOT STIR the rice.  Keep
covered, but with a 1/4 gap to prevent boiled over.  When the water
is gone (you have to peek through the gap periodically) set the
burner to the lowest possible setting and fully covered the pot.
Do this for 10 minutes.  This technique promotes even texture of
the rice.  Take the cover off and let it cool, but don't wait too
long or it will be too dry.  Stir it a little when you are ready to
use it.

Fish:

All scaled fish are eaten raw, such as tuna, yellow tail, etc.
Others, such as shrimps, octopus, and clams are lightly cooked.
Shrimps are cooked with their shells on.  The procedure for cooking
is to have some water boiling, throw in the pieces.  Scoop it out
as soon as the colors changed.
We now arrived at the hardest part, cutting.  This is where the
real sushi chefs separate from the jokers, like myself.  I will
divulge all I know.  Scaled fish are the easiest.  They either come
in the right width or it could be cut.  The proper width is 1.5
inches and is cut along the grains.  You slice them the same way
you do for London Broil, against the grains in a 60 degree angle.
Each slice should be no more than a 1/4 inch thick.  Being
consistent here, therefore creating ecstatic appeal, is hard.  Only
practices yield respectable results.  Octopus and clams are cut
according to the shape of the fish.  You try to have the pieces the
same diameter as the rice balls and the tentacles must be cut
perpendicularly.  Shrimps are now peeled and half-deep cut along
the bottom.  Remove all intestines and spread flat.  Phew, I hope
that covered it!

Assembly:

The perfect look is to have the rice balls resembling reverted
boats.  The fish on top should be in the same diameter.  It is
optional to wrap each piece with seaweed.

- Make the rice ball by compressing the rice in a 2/3 closed hand.
- Brush sesame oil along the top.
- Apply some wasabe along the top.
- Gently apply a piece of fish on top.

Sounds easy?  Try to make it look nice.  GOOD LUCK.