[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Black-Eyed Peas Recipes

cochran%iris.usc.edu@usc.edu (Steve Cochran) (08/07/90)

In article <1990Aug3.220939.2743@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> rrb@seismo.CSS.GOV (Robert Blandford) writes:

>I would like some recipes using black-eyed peas, which I think are
>widely unexploited.

  I agree.  When looking for a good source of soluble fiber a couple
of years ago, I decided that they provided the best, low-cost source.
I have used two recipes of the last couple of years, the first I threw
together from what was around, and the second I modifed from a Boston
Baked Beans recipe (when I got tired of always eating the first).  I
use a Crok Pot, but a bean pot in the oven at about 300F for 8 hours
should work as well.

	Steve

		STEVE'S BLACKEYE PEAS

Difficulty:  Easy
      Time:  20 minutes preparation
             + overnight soak for peas
             + 6-15 hours cooking
    Yields:  ~2.5-3 quarts cooked Blackeye Peas
             (1 cup contains about 10g. soluble fiber)

Ingredients:

    1 lb	  Blackeye Peas
    2 16oz cans   Stewed Tomatoes (chopped)
    2 med	  Onions (coarse chopped)
    3-4 stalks	  Celery, with leaves (chopped)
   ~3 cup	  Water

    Spices to taste (I use something like the following):

    4 Tbl	  Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Tbl	  Chili Power
    2 Tbl	  Rice Vinegar (or more to taste)
    3 med cloves  Garlic (or 4 small)
    2 tsp	  Basil
    1 tsp  	  Thyme
    1 tsp  	  Sage
    2 leaves	  Bay Laurel
    1/2 tsp	  Black pepper (or more to taste)
    1/3 tsp       Tabasco Sauce

Preperation:

	Examine and sort the peas.  Add 6-8 cups cold water and let
stand overnight (or for 6-8 hours).  Discard water and rinse the peas.
Place the soaked peas in a crok pot and add the tomatoes, onions,
celery and spices (vary spices as desired).  Add water to cover and
mix together.  Cook on Low setting for 12-15 hours or High for 6-8
hours.  (Add water if necessary to cover during cooking).  Serve hot
or cold -- it keeps in the refrigerator for upto one week.

		Boston Baked Blackeye Peas

Difficulty:  Easy
      Time:  10 minutes preparation
             + overnight soak for peas
             + 6-15 hours cooking
    Yields:  ~1.5-2 quarts cooked Blackeye Peas
             (1 cup contains about 10g. soluble fiber)

Ingredients:

    1 lb	  Blackeye Peas
    1/2 cup	  Molasses
    1 Tbl	  Mustard
    1 tbs	  Thyme
    1 tbs	  Sage
   ~2.5 cup	  Water

Preperation:

	Examine and sort the peas.  Add 6-8 cups cold water and let
stand overnight (or for 6-8 hours).  Discard water and rinse the peas.
Place the soaked peas in a crok pot.  Mix the Molasses, Mustard and
spices with about 1/4 cup warm water and add to the peas.  Add enough
water to cover and cook on Low setting for 12-15 hours or High for 6-8
hours.  Add water during cooking to keep the beans covered, but during
the last hour or two, let the mixture thicken.  Serve hot or cold --
it keeps in the refrigerator for upto one week.

Steven Cochran, Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California  90089-0273
Phone: (Lab) 213-743-0990; (Home) 818-767-3812