[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Deep Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce

riacmt@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Carol Miller-Tutzauer) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Jul29.064407.13088@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, dopey@iwtil.att.com (James C Blasius) writes...

---------------------------------
From:  Practical Thai Cooking by Puangkram C. Schmitz and Michael
J. Worman (Pub --> Kodansha International)

1 lb (450 gm) deep-fried tofu (Japanese: nama age) (substitute
	regular tofu -- you will deep-fry yourself; see below)

2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 coriander root (if available), coarsely chopped
3 dried red chili peppers, seeded, soaked, and coarsely chopped
1/2 t salt

1/2 c rice vinegar (cider vinegar is fine)

1/4 c sugar + 1/4 c hot water
3/4 c finely chopped or crushed peanuts

2 c peanut oil (or vegetable oil) for frying tofu

Garnishes:  2 t chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
            2 t red pepper flakes

Cut the tofu in 1 1/2 inch square pieces.  Set aside.
Make a paste (with such small quantities, a mortar and pestle are
probably the easiest method) of the garlic, coriander root,
3 seeded chili peppers, and salt.  Add the vinegar and mix.

Dissolve the 1/4 c sugar in 1/4 c hot water and add it to the
paste along with the 1/4 c of chopped peanuts.  Mix well (the
food processor helps here) and put it in a serving bowl.  Sprinkle
with coriander leaves and red pepper flakes.

Put the 2 c of peanut oil in a wok or frying pan over medium-high
heat.  Deep-fry the tofu (even the already deep-fried stuff) in
hot (360 deg F, 180 deg C) oil for 1 minute (the fresh tofu for
5 minutes), until a light gold.  Drain on paper towels.

Place the tofu on a serving plate and the bowl of peanut sauce next
to it.  Use the peanut sauce as a dip.  Serve either hot or at
room temperature.