[rec.food.recipes] CHICKEN: Chicken smothered with Black-Eyed Peas

riacmt@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Carol Miller-Tutzauer) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug3.220939.2743@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, rrb@seismo.CSS.GOV (Robert Blandford) writes...

--------------------------------------
From:  Authentic Cajun Cooking by Chef Paul Prudhomme (brochure
published by the McIlhenny Co. -- i.e. makers of Tobasco Sauce)

Seasoning Mix:
	1 T salt
1 1/2 t onion powder
1 1/2 garlic powder
1 t white pepper
1 t dry mustard
1 t rubbed sage
1/2 t dried thyme leaves
1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb) stewing or roasting hen (fryers ok too), cut
	into 8 to 10 pieces
1 c all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup chicken fat, pork lard, or vegetable oil
9 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 1/2 c finely chopped celery
3 bay leaves
1 T + 1 t Tabasco hot pepper sauce
1 lb dried (or frozen) black-eyed peas
1 T garlic powder
1 1/2 t rubbed sage
1 t dried thyme leaves
11 c chicken stock (canned is fine, you will need less if using
	frozen black-eyed peas)
about 3 c hot cooked rice

	Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small
bowl.  sprinkle about 1 T of the mix on the chicken pieces, patting
it in by hand.  Combine the remaining mix with the flour in a plastic
or paper bag, mixing well.  Set aside.
	In a large (preferably cast-iron) skillet heat 1/2 inch oil to
350 deg F over high heat.  Just before frying, dredge the chicken
pieces in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess; fry in the hot
oil (large pieces and skin side down first) until golden brown,
about 5 minutes per side.  (Adjust heat as needed to maintain
about 350 deg F.)  Drain on paper towels and set aside.
	In a 5 1/2 qt saucepan or large Dutch oven, melt the fat (or
use oil) over high heat.  Add the bacon and cook just until it
starts to get crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the onion, celery, bay leaves, and 1 t of Tabasco; cook
until vegetables start to get tender, about 3 to 5 minutes,
stirring frequently.  Add the peas, garlic, sage, onion powder,
and thyme, stirrin well; cook untill all the oil and juice is
absorbed and mixture starts sticking excessively (Yes! sticking),
about 2 to 4 minutes, stirring often.  Add the stock, chicken
pieces, and the remaining 1 T Tabasco; bring to a boil, then
reduce heat and let simmer until chicken and peas are tender,
about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (much less for frozen black-eyes), stirring
occasionally.  (Cooking time will vary according to toughness of
hen -- fryers done quickest.)  Adjust salt to taste toward the
end of cooking time.
	To serve, place 1 to 2 pieces of chicken on each plate.
Mound about 1/2 c rice to the side, then top the rice with about
1/2 c black-eyed peas.  Spoon extra sauce over the peas and
chicken.

Carol