[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

mallon@uunet.UU.NET (Dan Mallon) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug7.201326.16109@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> lgroeger@bcm.tmc.edu (Laurie Groeger) writes:

>Does anyone have a recipe for soft chocolate chip cookies?  Mine always
>turn out crunchy.
>
>lgroeger@bcm.tmc.edu

I am an avid chocolate chip cookie eater.  My Mom makes the best I've ever
had (OK, I'm biased).  She used to make them alot when I was in college and
I was the hit of my dorm because of them :-)

Anyway, one of my co-workers who has tasted these delectable items noticed
your article and sent it my way, so here's the recipe my Mom uses

1/3 cup Crisco
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts -- OPTIONAL
1 pkg (6 oz.) semi sweet chips

Heat oven to 375 F (Mom uses 350)
Mix shortening, sugars, egg, and vanilla thoroughly.
Measure flour, add baking soda and salt and stir.

Blend flour mixture into shortening, sugar, egg, and vanilla mixture.
Add chips and nuts (if using).  Mom usually adds the chips before putting
in all the flour.  Drop rounded teaspoons on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

The cookies generally stay soft for a day or so, longer if you keep them
covered and sealed.

Happy Cooking.

--
 Dan Mallon			     mallon@hsi.com
 3m Health Information Systems	     {uunet,yale}!hsi!mallon