[rec.food.recipes] BEEF: Beef Stew

cjt@hos1cad.att.com (Catherine J Thompson) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug15.223207.729@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, paterra@cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:

> I just got hit by a cold rain, and it made me want beef stew.
> Anybody got a good recipe?
>
> --
> Frank Paterra
> paterra@cs.odu.edu

This recipe is the result of combining the my favorite parts of
several recipes from different sources.  It is relatively easy,
although it takes a while to cook.  Enjoy.

Beef Stew

2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp pepper
3 lb beef chuck, cut inn 1-1/2 cubes
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup coarse chopped onions
1 cup celery
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 cans (10-1/2 oz size) condensed beef broth
1 bay leave
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves.
1 tbl parsley
6 small potatoes halved
6 medium carrots cut in lg slices
2 sm onions quartered
1 lb mushrooms
1/2 cup red wine. and then some

Combine flour and pepper; coat beaf cubes.  Reserve remaining flour
mixture.

In 3 tbl of hot oil, brown beef, and remove as they are browned.
Saute onion and celery and garlic until tender.  Return beef to pan.
Add beef broth, wine and spices.  Bring to a boil, stirring occaisionally.
Reduce to simmer, cover and continue cooking for 1-3/4 hour.  Add
remaining vegetables and cook covered 45 minutes longer or until meat
and potatoes are tender, but not mushy.  If broth is not thick enough
mix 2 tbl of flour w/2 tbl of water and add it to beef mixture, simmer
until thick.

--
Catherine Thompson
AT&T Bell Laboratories