[rec.food.recipes] LACTO: More Garlic Yoghurt Sauces

COMS2146@waikato.ac.nz (A. Veitch, University of Waikato, NZ) (09/01/90)

A while back I posted a request for garlic yoghurt sauce. Thanks to the
person (bandy@catnip.berkeley.ca.us) who replied to the net (message ID
<1990Aug21.154927.817@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>), I also got some other recipes
via mail, which I'll summarise below:

mvrr5@mvgpn.att.com writes:
>Alistair;
>  This is the dip my family makes. We use it quite a bit.
>

>1 Cup yogurt -plain
>3 cloves garlic crushed
>1Tbsp olive oil
>1 tsp lemon juice
>black pepper to taste
>
>Mix in all ingredients.
>Let sit for about an hour, then just before serving mix again.
>
>We use this as a veggie dip, pita dip, or as a "cooling" sauce for very spicy
>foods.

>* Ralph J. Reed III            | The earth was not given to us        *
>* att.com!mvgpn!mvrr5          | by our fathers                       *
>* mvgpn!mvrr5@att-in.att.com   | but loaned to us by our children     *

Since receiving these replies, I've been experimenting with various
combinations, and personally find that a combination of:

1 cup unsweetened natural yoghurt
2 medium cloves garlic
1 squeeze lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar (removes just a bit of tang)
and a good beating

works well for our taste buds. Had guests for tea a week back, and a large
amount of this dissappeared on pita bread, falafaels, tabbouleh etc

Thanks for the help everybody!

--
Alistair Veitch                      Phone: 64-71-562889 ext. 8768
Internet: coms2146@waikato.ac.nz	    64-71-562388 (home)