[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Spaghetti Squash

marianne%vangogh.wv.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Marianne Evans;685-2929;61-252) (09/14/90)

wittkopf@mprgate.mpr.ca (Kevin Wittkopf) writes:

>Does anyone have a recipe for spaghetti squash? My grandmother-in-law
>gave us one fresh from her farm....

**********************
	I haven't tried this but John is a great cook.

SPAGHETTI SQUASH
               >From: jrt@PacBell.COM (John Trinterud)

Very colorful dish, good choice for a large dinner (or leftovers)
Easy to make too...

1 good-sized Spaghetti Squash

4 to 8 oz sun dried tomatoes - soften in a bowl of boiling water for
no more than two (2) minutes.

2 to 4 shallots (more or less to taste), chopped
2 to 4 cloves fresh garlic (more or less to taste), chopped
1/2  green bell pepper, coarsly chopped.

4 or more halves of red peppers (pimentos - type sold in glass jars)
or you might consider using fresh red peppers.

1/4 to 1/3 C good olive oil
1 to 3 T balsamic vinegar
2 bunches fresh basil (leaves only)
1 t cumin, plus some lemon pepper & oregano

Procedure:

Split squash lengthwise with a heavy knife (careful!!), scrape out
and discard seeds.  Easiest cooking method is in the microwave, but
bake it if you wish.  For the microwave, place 'inside up' in
rectangular glass dish, add 1/4 cup of water in the dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for about 10 minutes, or
until just 'al dente'. While it's cooking, let's make the 'sauce.'

Saute garlic and shallots in olive oil with bell pepper till
just tender - don't brown.  If you're using fresh red peppers, add
these now.

Coarsly chop red peppers (if using canned ones) and tomatoes, add to
pan with cumin, lemon pepper and oregano.

Add basil and balsamic vinegar at the last minute, and cook
only till the basil just wilts.

Assembly:

To assemble, scrape the squash halves 'across' (as in horizontally)
to free the 'spaghetti' - try and keep it fluffy, place in serving
dish. We use a large shallow pasta bowl. Pour the sauce over the
squash and fold in - serve immediately. Keeps well, rewarm in
microwave.

Note: too much bell pepper will overpower the dish.

vmh@Eng.Sun.COM (09/18/90)

I do it the simple way:

Cut squash in halfs, place face down on cookie sheet and
bake between 30 - 60 minutes at medium heat. If the
squash is big, you might want to cover the top to keep
it from drying out.
The squash is done, when the inside can be removed and
looks like spaghetti.

Alternately I have tried to steam it instead. This is
a lot faster. 10 - 20 minutes is enough.If you steam it too
long it gets mushy, but still tastes good.
I like the taste of the baked version better.

I eat it with home made quasi-bolognese sauce:
(Another recipe from Valerie's Makeshift Kitchen)

Mix ground beef, some REAL tomato (chopped), a little
bacon (chopped), one chopped onion, and spices, and some
tomatoe puree if you like, and cook in frying pan til done.

(Yes, I have made this several times, and my friends are
still alive and well)

valerie

     __
    /--\