[rec.food.recipes] LACTO: Polenta

dbush@spool.cs.wisc.edu (Darren S. Bush) (09/24/90)

Jayne Gordon Groll writes:

>I recently tasted polenta for the first time and loved it.
>This was very dense, had some chopped tomatoes on top and tasted
>slightly of cheese (parmesan or ricotta, perhaps?)

Probably pecorino romano, the "standard cheese" for topping polenta (at leasti
the south).

>Any recipes for polenta out there?  I checked my "Fine Art of Italian
>Cooking" which had a very basic polenta and one with sausage.  Would love
>one with cheese, if possible.

Keep it simple.  Use 2 quarts of water in the top of a double boiler plus a
little salt (.5 - 1 Tbsp).  Boil water in the bottom of the d.b., enough to
cover the bottom of the upper pan.  When the 2 quarts are boiling, place the
top of the d.b. in the bottom, and slowly add 2 cups of polenta, stirring in
one direction only (avoids lumps).  Stir for five minutes, then cover and
cook for 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes.

This may seem complex, but it won't burn, it won't scorch, and most
importantly, it won't spatter on you (OUCH!).  Top with your favourite
marinara sauce, and LOTS of pecorino.

Enjoy.

--
Darren S. Bush