[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Yakisoba

bozarth@ICS.UCI.EDU (Billie Bozarth) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep23.192802.16397@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> a366@mindlink.UUCP (Laurel Pedersen) writes:

>Can anyone give me a good recipe for yakisoba?  Do you need to purchase
>sauce or can it all be made from scratch easily?  Are there vegetarian
>versions, or is it just a case of ommiting the meat.
>Thanks!

This is one of my favorite fast, cheap dinners.  Heat up a couple tablespoons
of peanut oil in a wok.  Then add the a little meat (My daughter and her
Japanese friends like bacon (about 1/3 pound), but Chicken, pork, shrimp,
leftover fish, or anything else in the fridge works well too) and cook until
its about half done.  I would think that the meat could be deleted but have
never tried it.  Now add some cut up cabbage, and whatever other "takes a
while to cook" veges you want.  cook a bit.  Then add some bean sprouts,
china peas, water chestnuts, and/or whatever other "leftovers or quick
cooking" veges you want.  Then add the noodles.  They have the packages in
the deli but I have found that leftover cooked spagaetti noodles (sans sauce)
works just as well.  While this all warms through, through in the about a
tablespoon each of soy sauce, worchestchire sauce and marin and mix it up.

This is not official, one of the girls moms from Japan showed me how but
the language gap was to much to get her to explain why an english sauce and
what the "real" sauce recipe is or me to understand her explanation.
This tastes great though so I live with it.

Billie