[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Lumpia

lagman@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (annette) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct2.181127.5247@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> janetb@ca.novell.com (Janet Bleiler) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone could post/send a recipe for the
>Phillipino variation of eggrolls. I think they are called
>lumpia, but are much smaller. Thanks in advance.

Lumpia (also called lumpiang shanghai)

Wrapper: lumpia or springroll wrapper, available at most Asian food stores.

Filling:  ground beef or pork, some shrimp if you like (about 1 lb.)
	     - tofu for the veggie kind, although veggie lumpia is probably
	       unheard of in the Phil.
	  green onions,  chopped
	  your choice of onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, water chestnuts,
	       jicama, bamboo shoots, whatever else you want (all
	       chopped up, of course)

	  -- how much of each ingredient you put in is up to you.  don't put
	     in too much, though, because you might end up with more filling
	     than you want to wrap.  but if you do, you can freeze it.

	  1 egg
	  1 - 2 slices of bread (broken up), or 1 - 2 Tablespoons of flour

	  mix em all up, add some (1/4 cup or so) soy sauce, salt, pepper,
	      1 tsp. sugar.

	  this should end up looking like raw meat loaf with soy sauce.

Put about 2 Tbsp filling in each wrapper, roll it up, and seal the edges
    with some water.  Deep fry on medium until golden brown.  Serve with
    your favorite sweet sour sauce (which i usually make with water, vinegar
    sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, and ketchup).