[rec.food.recipes] PORK: Mushroom-Bacon Pate

marianne@vangogh.wv.tek.com (Marianne Evans;685-2929;61-252) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct8.191918.13554@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> kupstas@unc.cs.unc.edu (Eileen Kupstas) writes:
>As always, I didn't save it and now I need it...
>
>About two months ago, a recipe for mushroom pate was posted; I would

MUSHROOM-BACON PATE - PARTY PATE WITHOUT LIVER

INGREDIENTS (1 large loaf)
     2 lbs     fresh mushrooms, chopped very fine
     1/2 lb    bacon (or more, to taste)
     2/3 cup   onion, chopped very fine
     2/3 cup   celery, chopped very fine
     8 oz      cream cheese, at room temperature
     4         eggs
     1/2 cup   parsley, chopped very fine
     2 cups    dry bread crumbs
     1 tsp     salt
     1 tsp     dried rosemary
     1 tsp     dried oregano
     1/4 tsp   ground black pepper

PROCEDURE
          (1)  Fry the bacon and crumble it as fine as possible.
               Reserve some of the grease.

          (2)  Chop the mushrooms, onion, celery, and parsley as
               fine as possible.  A food processor works best,
               but you can do it by hand if need be.

          (3)  Saute the onion and celery in the bacon grease
               until soft, then remove from the grease, and
               drain.

          (4)  Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese slightly, and
               then beat in the eggs.  Add all other ingredients
               to the eggs/cheese mixture. Mix thoroughly.

          (5)  Grease a large loaf pan or two small, line with
               foil, and then grease the foil.  Pat the mixture
               into the loaf pan and cover loosely with foil.
               Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 400 deg. F.

          (6)  Let cool completely before serving.

NOTES
     This pate is actually best when refrigerated before serving.
     Serve with crackers, or with bread cut into shapes with
     cookie cutters.

     To make this a more elegant buffet dish, garnish the top
     with a thin layer of aspic.

CONTRIBUTOR
     Terry Grevstad
     Network Research Corporation, Oxnard, Calif., USA
     {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry