[rec.food.recipes] FISH: Swordfish Marinade

silvia@portia.Stanford.EDU (Silvia Ercolani) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.020711.9251@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> montagna@mizar.usc.edu (Cathy Montagna) writes:

>Does anybody out there have a good marinade for swordfish?  The only
>marinade I could find combined soy sauce, catsup, vinegar, sugar
>and garlic.  It was okay, but I was hoping for something better!

This is the way I like swordfish, very simple, so you can fully taste
the flavor and richness of the fish:

Garlic, one big clove for each steak
Rosemary.
Salt (coarse), pepper
Olive oil

mince finely the garlic and the rosemary (faster if you use a food processor).
put some oil salt pepper and the minced garlic and rosemary in a large pan.
mix together. put the fish steaks and let aside in the fridge for about 1 hour.
turn a couple of times to marinate the fish evenly.

Then cook on the barbecue. when cooking, if the fish gets too dry use a spoon
and put little oil of the marinade on it.

A great success among my friends..

Silvia

cathyn@triton.unm.edu (Robert W. Lesnick) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct19.020711.9251@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> montagna@mizar.usc.edu (Cathy Montagna) writes:

>Does anybody out there have a good marinade for swordfish?  The only
>marinade I could find combined soy sauce, catsup, vinegar, sugar
>and garlic.  It was okay, but I was hoping for something better!

    Here's the one I use. All the quantities are approximate. I usually
   make enough to cover the fish.

     	1 1/2 C white zinfandel
	1 C orange juice
	1 sliced orange
	2 cloves garlic, crushed
	1 sliced onion (I like red ones)

      Marinate overnight in the fridge. Use a glass or plastic bowl so
no metal taste translates to the fish. Bake the fish, thicken the sauce
by whatever means you like (roux, cornstarch, flour, etc) and serve the
fish on rice with the thickened marinade as a sauce.

     Cathyn