[rec.food.recipes] BEEF: Beef Jerky

whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct24.144544.5657@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> BOWLING@RIYAL.TSD.ARLUT.UTEXAS.EDU writes:
>I am looking for beef/venison jerky recipes.  I have seen some that use
>liquid smoke, and only take half a day or so, but I would like to know how
>to make REAL jerky.  That means I also need to know what kind of utensils
>I need (pots, smokers, charcoal grills, etc.)  I am not sure, but I think
>the jerky recipes I am looking for do NOT cook the meat, only dry it.  The
>jerky I have had seems to have a lot of pepper in it too.

My own Beef Jerky recipe:

	For each pound of meat:
	1 1/2 tsp. salt
	2 tsp. FRESH black pepper - Fresh flavor is important!
	3 tsp. marjoram

	Sprinkle above ingredients onto a *THICK* steak. Pound in with
mallet.  Cut beef into strips and lay on oven rack with aluminum foil
underneath to catch drips (If available, an arrangement like a roasting pan
is perfect.  Heat oven to 150 degrees F and open oven door slightly to allow
water to escape.  Cook 7 to 8 hours, or until the meat is dry and slightly
brittle -- It should "splinter" when bent.

--
whos@ddsw1.MCS.COM