[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Spaetzle

sandra@csri.toronto.edu (sandra smith) (10/02/90)

kellyhn@idsvax.ids.com writes:

>Hello everyone,
>     My husband is of German Decent and his Mother who passed away in May
>of 89 took with her all her German recipes.  She use to make the best meal.
>My spelling may be off here, so pklease bare with me.  It was called
>"Spetula" They are home made noodles with a meat gravy.  My children and
>I loved them.  But, she never go t the chance to show me how to make them.
>There are no relitives here in the States to show me how.  So, any German
>cooks out there?  please let me know if you have the recipe.  Thanks!!
>Kelly Hartmann                                                                 hELLO

I'm not of German descent, but I've made these delicious noodles a few
times since enjoying them at a friend's house.  I believe they are
called spaetzle which is pronounced somewhat like the way you have spelled
it.

Spaetzle

3 C flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 C milk

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Mix together flour, nutmeg and salt.  Lightly beat eggs and add to flour
mixture.  While beating, add milk in a thin stream.  The dough will be
very sticky.  Now comes the fun part.  I use a food mill with a large
hole grating disk, but I've heard that there is something called a
spaetzle maker which is like a grater.  Anyway, you place the
chosen implement over the pot of boiling water and somehow coax small
drops of batter to fall into it.  The noodles are done when they rise
to the surface.   Drain and toss with butter, if desired.  They are
wonderful with any saucy dish.

	sandra

tonse@csa2.lbl.gov (Shaheen Tonse) (10/27/90)

I noticed the Spaetzli recipe and suggest adding to it in the following way,
which a Swiss friend taught me: (1) do as told from the last posting

>Spaetzle

>3 C flour
>1/4 tsp. nutmeg
>1/2 tsp. salt
>4 eggs
>1 C milk

>Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
>Mix together flour, nutmeg and salt.  Lightly beat eggs and add to flour
>mixture.  While beating, add milk in a thin stream.  The dough will be
>very sticky.  Now comes the fun part.  I use a food mill with a large
>hole grating disk, but I've heard that there is something called a
>spaetzle maker which is like a grater.  Anyway, you place the
>chosen implement over the pot of boiling water and somehow coax small
>drops of batter to fall into it.  The noodles are done when they rise
>to the surface.   Drain and toss with butter, if desired.  They are
>wonderful with any saucy dish.

Now.. Chop 1 large onion.
      Grate 1/2 cup Monterey Jack + 1/2 cup Medium sharp cheddar.
	Fry onions lightly in olive oil till transparent, then turn up heat and
brown them well. Add the prepared Spaetzli and then add the cheeses. Lower heat
and stir till cheese has melted. Serve, add salt to taste.
					Shaheen.