[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Vegetarian Soup Stocks

kupstas@unc.cs.unc.edu (Eileen Kupstas) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov06.160102.2903@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> stiv@stat5.rice.edu (david n stivers) writes:

>Is this a hopeless request? Ovo-lacto is ok. It'd be nice to be able
>to adapt soup recipes with something like this.

 I have some alternatives to offer:

1) Vegetable boullion - I've used Knorr vegetable boullion cubes
(ok - has oil added and is a bit on the salty side); "bulk"
vegetable boullion powder from the co-op (no salt, determining
how much to use is tricky - add some, taste, dilute or add powder,
taste...) and onion/meat-free vegetable soup mix (comes in
foil envelopes - adequate, depends on brand). I have not tried
Wyler's tomato boullion.

2) water + tomato and garlic -- easy, fast substitute for
 something that can use the tomato.

3) water + a bit of miso -- good for hearty soups like
   bean soups or vegetable stews.

4) Make vegetable soup stock at home - not too much work, but
  must be done ahead of time. I use sauteed onion and garlic,
  leftover vegetables, celery, carrots ... the standards
 ( should be a recipe in Joy of Cooking or other complete
  work). You can use a recipe for vegetable soup and omit
  any meat called for. This should make a good stock.
  Be sure to season well with whatever spices are appropriate
  ( bay leaves add a nice "richness" to the taste). I make
  some every once in a while and freeze it (get a HUGE stockpot -
  I have a cheap Sear's enamalled pot that works fine for this
  -- investment of about $12), so that there is usually some
  around.

5) Stick with already "vegetarianized"
recipes; I recommend the original Moosewood Cookbook by
Molly Katzen as a good starter -- all recipes are vegetarian
(I almost positive -- I've never hit one that had questionable
items).  I have made many of the soups and have only disliked
one (a black bean soup with orange juice in it -- BLECH!!),
and they have passed the test with non-vegetarians, too.

Hope this gets you started. If you don't read rec.food.veg,
try there, too; we sometimes get off the soapbox long
enough to post recipes...

Eileen