[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Lasagna

bjp1@ihlpb.att.com (Brian J Prendota) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov06.152638.2169@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, gates@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Gates) writes:

> Would anyone send me their BEST recipe for Lasagna (sp?)?? We are making it
> 	for a dinner of about 30 people.  Thanks in advance.

When my wife and myself throw parties, we have made Lasagna.  Our
recipe might sound kinda bland, but nobody has ever refused it.
Remember, your Lasagna will get it's flavor from the cheese in it, not
necessarily from the tomato sauce you use.

Lasagna for 30

1 18"x24"x4" Aluminum pan (Toss the pan out when you are done)
3-4 Boxes of Lasagna Noodles (You will probably use 3 boxes)
3-32 oz jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce (We use generic)
2-16 oz packages of cottage cheese
2 1/2-3 lbs of mozzarella cheese (put on as much as you like)
2 lbs of browned hamburger
8 oz of Parmesan Cheese

Add the hamburger to your spaghetti sauce. Cook the noodles for ~10
minutes.  Drain and cool the noodles down immediately. Now start your
noodle layers.  Place a layer of noodles, the noodles can overlap each
other. If there are small pieces, use them on the bottom layers. Them
spoon a layer of the tomato and hamburger sauce. Then spoon on the
cottage cheese (app. 6-8 oz/ layer). Top with app. 2 cups of mozzarella
cheese. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese in top of the layer. Repeat the
layering process 3 to 4 more times.  When you have the last layer
complete, the pan will be heavy. So support the pan from the bottom to
place it in the oven. Bake at 400 f for 35 - 45 minutes or until the
top layer of cheese is golden brown. Take out of the oven and let it
rest for about 10 minutes. Cut the pan into 30 slices (that's 6 pieces
by 5 pieces).

Serve with garlic bread (At least 5 loaves) and a salad (probably 2
heads of lettuce). For a desert, how about a fruit salad.

		Brian Prendota ihlpb!bjp1