[rec.food.recipes] CHICKEN: General Tso's Chicken

margoli@IBM.com (Larry Margolis) (11/08/90)

> I need a recipe for General Tso's Chicken.  I haven't had much
> success duplicating it by trial and error.  Can anybody help?

I'll supply two recipes.  The first is the one I use, the second is one that
also came off the net but which I have not yet tried.

Larry Margolis, MARGOLI@YKTVMV (bitnet), MARGOLI@IBM.COM (csnet)
 ===

                        General Tso's Chicken

                       Siam Oriental Restaraunt
                 as prepared by Chef Paul Kaewprasart
Voted one of the top 10 dishes in Columbus by Columbus Monthly Magazine.

1/2 cup cornstarch                        3 pounds dark deboned chicken meat
1/4 cup water                               cut into large chunks
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic                   1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp minced ginger                   1 tsp white pepper
3/4 cup sugar                             1 egg
1/2 cup soy sauce                         1 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup white vinegar                     1 cup salad oil
1 1/2 cups hot chicken broth              2 cups scallions, diced
1 tsp M.S.G. (optional)                   16 small dried hot peppers

To make sauce, mix cornstarch and water together.  Add garlic, ginger,
sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and wine.  Then add chicken broth and M.S.G.
and stir until sugar disolves.  Refrigerate until needed.

In separate bowl, mix chicken, soy sauce and pepper.  Stir in egg.  Add
cornstarch until chicken is coated evenly.  Add oil to help separate
chicken pieces.  Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry at
350 degrees until crispy.  Drain on a paper towel.

Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot.  Add
scallions and peppers and stir-fry briefly.  Stir sauce; add to wok.
Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens.  Add either
cornstarch or water as needed.  Serve with rice.  Serves 6 - 8.

Source:  From "A Taste Of Columbus" Volume III
         Favorite recipes from leading Central Ohio Restaraunts.

 ===
 From: ARNIE@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (ARNIE SKUROW)
 Date: 10 Jan 90 19:15:34 GMT

I know we've had quite a bit of traffic on this net referring to
General Tso's Chicken lately.  In today's Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch is a
recipe for General Tso's chicken that sounded wonderful, and I am
sending it on to you verbatim and without permission.

Quoting from the article the recipe was contained in, "The dish is not
difficult to make and can be prepared partially in advance.  The crunch
texture of the chicken pieces is achieved by coating them with egg and
cornstarch, then deep-frying them twice - once to cook them through and
once at a higher temperature to make them brown and crisp.  The velvety
sweet-sour sauce, which is combined with the chicken at the last
minute, provides a wonderful counterpoint."

"The amount of heat is your option.  Sixteen small dried red peppers
provide a moderate amount of heat.  Add more or less to taste, but be
careful not to bite into one.  They are dynamite!"

 ----------------------------
General Tso's Chicken

1 egg                                         Sauce
1 TBSP cornstarch
1 lb boned, skinned chicken cut from          4 tsp cornstarch
   thigh or breast into 2 inch chuncks        4 tsp sugar
Vegetable oil                                 4 tsp rice vinegar
About 16 small dried hot red chili peppers    6 TBSP soy sauce
4 to 5 green onions, cut                      1/4 C chicken broth
   diagonally into 1" pieces                  1/4 C water
1 Clove garlic, finely minced                 1/4 C dry sherry wine
1/4 tsp grated fresh gingerroot

Whisk together thoroughly the egg and cornstarch.  Add pieces of
chicken, turning to coat evenly.

In wok or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches of oil to 350 F. Fry chicken, a
few pieces at a time until lightly browned and just cooked through.
Drain on paper towels.

Combine sauce ingredients, mixing well.  Set aside.  (The chicken may
be fried the first time up to one hour in advance; the sauce can be
combined several days in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator.)

In frying pan, heat 1 TBSP of oil until hot.  Add chili peppers and
cook until blackened.  Add onions and stir-fry about one minute.  Add
garlic and ginger, cooking briefly, but do not brown.  Remove from
heat.

Reheat deep oil to 400 F. Return chicken to fat, in batches, and cook
until crisp and golden brown.  Drain on paper towels.

Re-stir sauce and add to frying pan with onions and peppers.  Cook,
stirring until thickened and bubbly.  Add chicken and cook, stirring,
until well coated and heated through.  Serve over rice.  Makes 3 to 4
servings.