[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Christmas Cookies

lmajidi@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lynn Majidimehr) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov12.211354.8887@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, keb@cs.brown.edu (Kristin E. Brown) writes:

> Hi y'all.  Would anyone be willing to post recipes for Christmas
> cookies??  Also, does anyone have the recipe for butter cookies (which
> may or may not be Christmas cookies) Thanks!!  keb

The following recipes are from my family (mostly grandmother and
greatgrandmother):

Butter Cookies

1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. Sifted Confectioner's Sugar (powdered sugar)
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cream of tartar
1/4 t. salt

Cream butter; add sugar gradually.  Cream until fluffy.  Add unbeated
egg and vanilla.  Beat well.  Sift dry ingredients.  Blend into creamed
mixture.  Shape into  3/4-1" balls.

Bake at 400 degrees for ~10 min.

Variations:

1)  Butter crispies (rolled) - chill dough, roll 1/8" thick, cut out shapes.
    Bake about 6 min.

2)  Snow Balls - to 1/2 dough add 3/4 c. walnuts.  chill dough.  roll into
    marble size balls.  Bake 8-10 min.  Cool and then roll in powdered
    sugar.

3)  Butterfingers - to 1/2 of dough add 1/2 c. chopped nuts,  1/4 c. candied
    cherries.  Chill.  Shape into logs.  Bake 8-10 min.  Sprinkle with
    regular granulated sugar.

 ----------------------------------

Pecan Logs

1/2 lb. butter
3 T. sugar
1/2 T. water
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans
pinch of salt
2 c. flour (unsifted)
Powdered Sugar (Confectioner's Sugar)

Mix all ingredients together except powdered sugar.  Form into logs
(about the 2" long and 1/2" dia.).  Bake at 325-350 degrees for 12-15
min., or just until beginning to brown around edges (you don't want
them brown).  Remove from baking sheet and cool.  Roll in powdered
sugar.

 ----------------------------------

Sugar Cookies (crispy)

3/4 c. shortening (ex. crisco)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
additional egg whites (for brushing cookies)
colored or plain sugar(s) for decoration

Mix all ingredients.  Chill.  Roll out thin (~1/8 " or as thin as you
can handle - thinner makes them crispy).  Cut into shapes and transfer
to cookie sheet.  Brush with egg whites then sprinkle with colored or
plain sugars to decorate.

Bake at 400 degrees or 6-8 minutes or till edges begin to brown.

 ----------------------------------

Coconut Cookies (crispy type)

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 c. ground coconut (chop well in blender or food processor)
2 t. baking powder
4 c. flour (unsifted)
2    large eggs (or 3 small)

Mix all ingredients together.  If too stiff add another egg (it does
need to be stiff enough to roll out after chilling).

Chill dough in freezer or refrigerator.

Roll thin (~1/8 inch), cut out cookies.

Bake at 400 degrees 5-7 minutes.

 ----------------------------------

Thumbprint Cookies

1/2 c. shortening (part butter or marg)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1      egg, separated
1/2 t. vanilla
1   c. flour
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. finely chopped nuts
       tinted confectioner's icing

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix shortening, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla thoroughly.  Blend
together flour and salt; stir in.  roll dough in balls (~3/4").  Beat
egg white slightly with fork.  Dip balls in egg white, then roll in
nuts.  Place about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheet; press thumb (or
end of wooden spoon) into center or each (you want an indentation).
Bake 10-12 min, or until set.  Cool.  Fill with tinted icing.

Makes ~ 3 dozen cookies.

Tinted Confectioner's Icing:

Mix powdered sugar with enough milk to make spreadable icing.  Color
with food coloring or icing tint.