[rec.food.recipes] LACTO: Kringle

anderson@jete.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bettylise Anderson) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov21.202700.17684@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>, iverson@Neon.Stanford.EDU (David L. Iverson) writes:

> I'm looking for a recipe for Kringla.  It's a doughy Scandinavian
> cookie that's usually shaped like a pretzel.  If anyone has a kringla
> recipe to share, it would be much appreciated.

I will give my great-grandmother's recipe, which I have to admit is
truly awesome, but first let me point out that I have seen many
different versions of Kringle. First there are the big coffee-cake
things, which we won't even mess with. Then there are cookie things
shaped liked pretzels as you say. I have seen these, but I haven't seen
any like the ones this recipes makes. These Kringle (in the recipe) are
not soft and squishy, they don't have much sugar in them, and do have
lots and lots of butter (fat fest, so I only have 'em at Christmas).
They are a lot of work, and they are worth it.

Kringle (This comes from Danish heritage)

3 cups flour
lots of shortening (butter)
water
sugar

1. Make the dough by cutting 4 tbsp butter into the flour as you do for
pie crust. Add water until the consistency is like pie crust.

2. Roll out dough to a about 12-15" diameter (it will be sort of
thick).  Spread on top of the dough about 1/3 to 1/2 lb of softened
butter. (Is this weird or what?)  Fold the dough in thirds lengthwise
(like folding a letter). Wrap in waxed paper and chill for a hour or so
until cold and stiff.

3. Take out of fridge, and fold in thirds again in the other
direction.  It should be roughly square. Roll back and forth along one
axis only, until it's a rectangle about 1/4 inches thick. (Maybe 15-20
inches by 8-10 inches) Fold in thirds again and roll in the
perpendicular direction until a long rectangle again. Repeat this
process about 10 times (yes, ten). You will have to put it back into
the fridge every few times for a half hour or so.The butter will start
to peek out through the bottom and the dough will get too warm from
the handling. I believe you are meant to repeat the process until you
can't see the butter anymore. My great-uncle Ozwald Bjeregord Petersen
says he remembers "fold and roll, fold and roll, fold and roll".
Anyway, the last time, leave it in the shape of a long rectangle (after
rolling but before folding) and put into the fridge overnight or
several hours to get stiff and cold again.

4. Take it out of the fridge, and roll it in one direction (the long
axis) until about 1/4 thick. Mommy says it isn't good to have it any
thicker than 3/8". Brush with melted butter, and then sprinkle with
sugar. Yes, this is the first time you put any sugar in them. Slice the
rectangle along the sort axis into strips about about 3/8" wide, and
shape into pretzels. We say "pretzels" but we actually make little
"infinity" signs (OK, figure eights).

5. Bake at 350 F for about 1/2 hour. They won't get very brown, but
they should be tan on the bottoms. Also, one is meant to sprinkle them
with sugar again halfway through cooking but we sometimes don't bother.
They freeze well.

These Kringle are wonderful wonderful wonderful but not super sweet,
which is what I like about them.

Betty Lise Anderson