[rec.food.recipes] CHICKEN: Posole

jbatson@BBN.COM (Jay Batson) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov06.155732.2774@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> cds@lcuxlq.att.com (Christopher N Del Sordi) writes:

>I'd like a recipe (and variations) for a Mexican dish called pozzole.
>The closer the recipe is to the traditional, the better.

Well, I'll try this from memory (which may be OK - I make it a lot).
BTW - I've always known the spelling to be Posole.

+	8 cups chicken broth
+	2 cans yellow hominy
+	2 cans kidney beans (or soaked-from-dry equivalent if you have time)
+	2 4oz cans mild green chilis (I buy Old El Paso whole chilis and cut
		them up.)
+	as much chopped jalepeno chilis as you can stand (I like it hot,
		so I put min 3-4 chilis worth)
+	1 lb or so of chicken.  I use 2-3 chicken breasts with the bone.
+	1 big or 2 "utility" onions, chopped
+	2-4 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro if you have it
+	Spices to taste.  I use:
		1+ _Tbsp_ ground cumin seed  (I like this stuff, and I don't
						skimp on it in mexican dishes)
		1 1/2 tsp chili powder
		pinches of other stuff if the chicken broth was purchased:
			tarragon (small pinch)
			parsley (big pinch - omit if you have cilantro)
			sage (very small pinch; use rubbed if you have it - the
				whole sage doesn't soften up too well in a
				soup like this)

Throw the stuff together, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for
45 to 90 minutes (this is a flexible dish, great for when you don't
know exactly when company will arrive.)

After cooking, pull out the chicken (breasts/...), and remove the
chicken from the bone after they are cool enough to work on.  Shred the
chicken using fork/knife... (don't worry if it starts to go to pieces
on you:  that's what you want it to do - you want to end up with lots
of junk floating around in the broth), then return the chicken to the
soup.

+	Add 1 4 oz can chopped black olives, and leave on the stove for
		another 5 minutes to let the olives heat up.  (Don't cook
		the olives for the whole time - they'll fall apart.)

Hope I didn't forget anything....  If I did, it was spices, and you can
kind of make your own up after the cumin and chili powder.

Enjoy
Jay Batson	 jbatson@bbn.com