[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Breakfast Casserole

ybarra@sunset.sedd.trw.com (12/04/90)

>From: moser@granite.cr.bull.com (Terry Moser)

>Hi folks, I'm looking for recipe for a breakfast casserole like one
>that was served in a B&B in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia when I vacationed
>there last summer.  It consisted of slices of wheat bread topped with
>ham, tomatoes, cheese , more bread then covered with eggs that had been
>beaten with cream and seasonings.  I made an attempt at duplicating
>this but was unsuccessful.  This and other good breakfast recipes,
>especially those that will feed a crowd of 10 or so people would be
>appreciated.

I don't know if this has ever been served there but it is close to what
you are asking.....give it a try :-)  My Aunt gave this recipe to me, I
have never tried it, but now that I read your request, you reminded me
of it. I have been carrying it around in my purse for sometime now.

She calls it "Breakfast Casserole"

5 slices white or wheat bread, buttered on both sides.

1 lb. sausage-scattered-crumbled

3/4 cheddar cheese graded

1 can diced green chili

2 cups milk

4 eggs

salt and pepper

Cube bread and place in bottom of 7X11 or 10X10 glass baking dish.
Place 1/2 cheese, 1/2 chili on cubed bread. Add sausage then remaining
cheese and chili. Mix milk and egg and salt and pepper with fork.  Pour
over prepared bread layer. Place dish in refrigerator over night.  Bake
next day at 350 for 1 hour.

(You can probably cook it right away, but this is what the recipe said)

You can double the recipe for more people..........

I hope this comes close....

(you can make changes to the recipe, by substituting ham for sausage, or bacon.
 you can omit the chili)

P.S I don't know if I should be posting this here, but I will know soon.