[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Double Chocolate Mint Pretzels

lieser@btni.boystown.org (Digital Bitch) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Nov29.153719.29687@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> olginll@abcom.att.com (6307 ) writes:

>With the holiday season approaching, we are having holiday cookie swaps
>at work and in my neighborhood. Instead of making the same old sugar or
>chocolate chip cookies for the holidays, I am looking for something a
>little bit different.  So, if anyone has any ideas or recipes it will
>be appreciated.

This my last-year's adaptation of a recipe found in a 1950's German
cookbook, the big hit of office holiday parties (mine and the (now)
ex-SO).  Tedious to make, yes, worth the effort?  Everybody thought
so.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MINT PRETZELS

Cream together:		  9 tbsp softened Margarine
			  1 cup  Sugar
			  1 pck  Vanilla Sugar
			  2      Eggs
			  1 tbsp Chocolate Extract

Add:			1/4 cup  Milk

Sift in:		  2 cups Flour
			1/2 cup  unsweetened Cocoa Powder
		      2-1/2 tsp  Baking Powder (don't be too generous
				                with this!)

Mix well, then add:	  1 cup  Flour (approximately)

While adding Flour, it becomes necessary to use your hands for mixing.
Add the last cup gradually while kneading the dough, you might not need
it all.  When dough is smooth and shiny, take small pieces, roll them
into strings about the thickness of a pencil, and put on ungreased
cookie sheet in the shape of small pretzels.  Bake in preheated 425 F
oven for about 8 min.

Cool for a few mins on cookie sheet, then transfer to airtight
container (otherwise, they'll turn into hockey-pucks!).  When they are
thoroughly cooled off, melt 1/2 to 3/4 lb White Chocolate (or Almond
Bark) (that's where the microwave comes in handy) and add a few drops
of Mint Extract until the desired "mintiness" is achieved.  Dip top of
each pretzel into Chocolate/Mint mixture, dip into a dish with
Chocolate Sprinkles or Nonpareils (the Chocolate Sprinkles went over
biggest, I guess it made the cookies "triple chocolate :-) and put on
waxed paper until the Chocolate has set.  Again, store in airtight
container.

Enjoy about 50 pretzels!

 lieser@BoysTown.org