[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Cornish Pasties

jmlecher@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Jane M. Lecher) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan24.034510.19510@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> gilly@bucsf.bu.edu (Gilly Rosenthol) writes:

>I'm looking for a recipe for Cornish Pasties, or any other medieval-ish
>food that can be carried easily and eaten cold.  Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but these are the
pasties that I've loved all my life. My father says that they're
exactly like those his mother used to make, and she was from Cornwall.
So here they are.

All you do is make a bunch of regular pie crust dough. Don't worry
about keeping your hands out of it, because it works better when it's
tougher

Roll out a circle of dough, prop up one side on the rolling pin, and
fill it with the following ingredients:

Sliced potatoes - don't bother peeling them if the skins are clean
		  but slice it THIN
Ground meat, raw - I use ground turkey now, but we used to use hamburger
Chopped onion - to taste
Salt and pepper - also to taste

That's it. Close the circle, seal it with a little water, and bake
until the pastry is browned and the contents are cooked.  My father
says that his grandmother made big ones and sliced them up to serve,
but my mother always made little ones so we each got our own. They
taste great hot, cold, or in between.

I love them at work instead of sandwiches. However, they DO NOT
microwave very well!  The pastry gets soggy. Yuck.

Have fun!
Jane