[rec.food.recipes] MISC: Simple Italian Appetizers

lpl@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Leonard P Lidov) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb01.221648.11336@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> cyclist@hubcap.clemson.edu (Barry Johnson) writes:

>We're having a little dinner/get-together/happening next weekend.
>We're gonna make a huge vat o' spaghetti, garlic bread, and salad, but
>we need some ideas for "Italian" appetizers.  Do any of you have any
>ideas?

	Having just moved into a predominantly Italian neighborhood,
I've been experimenting with a lot of different appetizers, but the best
I've found is the simplest:  fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced proscutto
ham (rolling each slice makes for a very elegant way to serve this) and
fresh just-barely ripe sliced tomatoes.  You can serve this stuff on a
bed of lettuce to make it look nice.

	I also sometimes serve mussels as an appetizer for Italian food,
with a sauce made from garlic, olive oil and butter.