[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Pancit Bihon

mfrancisco@UCSD.EDU (SweetPinkPig) (02/05/91)

bowles@stsci.edu (Richard Bowles) writes:

>I had this dish at a "fast food" style Filipino restaurant and loved
>it -- does anyone know the "secret", the ingredients seemed simple.

There are many variations of this particular dish.  This one I like
to call "Pancit a la Yalong" as it is my mom's recipe.

1 lb chicken (any part will do)
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
about 10 dried shrimp (found in any oriental store.)
3/4 c, french-cut green beans
3/4 c carrots
1 green bell pepper
1/2 chinese cabbage, chopped
3 chinese sausage, chopped (optional)
patis to taste (patis = Filipino fish sauce)

Boil the chicken until it is cooked.  The stock can be saved for later
use, if you wish.  When the chicken is cooled, flake it ( remove from
the bone) and set aside.

Soak the shrimp in just enough water to cover the top of the shrimp.
Let soak for at least 1.5 hours.

Mince the garlic and chop the onion.  Saute the garlic then add the
onion, stir-fry until the onion starts to wilt.  Add the dried shrimp
along with the water, stir-fry for a bit.  Add the flaked chicken.  Add
a bit of salt and pepper to taste.  Patis will work here too.  It has a
tendency to be quite salty so be easy on it.  Add the vegetables, stir
fry until done.

With the bihon, (rice noodles) wash it first under warm water.  Drain
water using a sieve.  Add the noodles, mix all the ingredients
together.  Put in enough soya sauce to make the colour of the noodles
brown.  Mix all of this together and let heat for a bit, say 5 minutes,
but continue to toss everything together.

Serve hot.  Enjoy!  You can also experiment and add other things to
this as well.  It is a very flexible dish.

Lyn (mfrancisco@ucsd.edu)