[rec.food.recipes] OVO: Tortillas

lewkowicz@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb04.153933.7933@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>,
chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) writes:

>My girlfriend is getting nostalgic for Spanish food. In particular,
>Croquettas (little fried potato/bacon/fish snacks) and Paella. Also, if
>anyone has a recipe for Spanish Tortillas (the thick kind, with egg and
>potato), I'd be much obliged.

Got this one for Tortillas from a Spanish teacher quite a while ago --
sounds like it is what you might be looking for:

Tortillas
2 large potatoes
6 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
Oil for frying
Salt, to taste

Pare potatoes and cut into small cubes.  Fry in oil just enough so that
they cook well (not crispy).  While frying the potatoes:  in a small
saucepan, add onions and 2 Tbsp. water, cover, and simmer until onions
look tender and water has evaporated (onions can be fried for faster
cooking, but may burn easily).  In separate mixing bowl, beat eggs,
season to taste.  Add onions and potatoes.  Mix well, so eggs cover
mixture.

With same frying pan:  remove oil so only about 2 1/2 Tbsp. remain.
Add mixture and fry at medium heat for about five minute (cover for no
more than 3 minutes).  Then, turn on other side (mixture should stay
together like a pancake) and cook 5 more minutes or until eggs are
completely cooked.