[rec.food.recipes] MISC: Low Fat Recipe Collection

maury@bacon.mitre.org (Maury Neiberg) (02/08/91)

I posted most of these about a year ago ( there are some new ones), but
since people are complaining, I guess it doesn't hurt to do it again.
Some are culled from rec.food.cooking some from meetings, and some are
adaptations of favorite recipes.  I apologize if I've forgotten to
credit someone.

Maury

Poached Scallop (ala Julia Child)
(Serves 2 approx 4 protein exchanges/serving.  I don't count optional
calories for wine cooked so long, but if you do, count 65 opt cals)

Chop up 1-2 scallions or 1-2 shallots.  In a saucepan combine scallions
or shallots, 2/3 cup wine, 1/2 cup water, a dash of salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add 10 ounces scallops.  If
the scallops are small or cut into small pieces, remove from heat,
otherwise, simmer for 2 minutes and then remove from heat.  Let sit for
10 minutes.

Hot: Stir in seasonings (1 Tablespoon fresh herbs, thyme, basil, an
parsley work nicely) Adjust salt and pepper.  Serve immediately, or
serve as below without the chilling.

Cold: Remove Scallops to a bowl.  Add herbs to saucepan and 1/2-1 cup
diced peeled seeded and de-juiced tomatoes.  (I know this is a pain,
but it's worth it, honest.  Use canned peeled tomatoes and it all gets
easier) Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes, until the
tomatoes give up their juice.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a
reasonable consistency.  Stir in scallops and chill overnight.

 --------------------------

Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta (adapted from the Weight Watcher's
International Cookbook)

(2 Servings, may be doubled or tripled)

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup diced eggplant (see Note)
1/4 cup diced yellow pepper (see Note)
1/4 cup sliced scallions (see Note)
2 cloves garlic (I use 2 very large or 3 normal cloves)
8 small plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (canned is ok)
2 Tablespoons white wine (see Note)
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon lemon peel
1 Tablespoon chopped parsley (it's hard to have too much)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
9 oz shelled, deveined shrimp (approx 2/3 lb with shells.) (See Note)
1 oz Feta cheese (see note)

Note on ingredients:
1.  I usually double the eggplant, pepper and scallions.  If I'm
doubling the recipe to serve 4 I fill my 4 cup glass measuring cup to
overflowing with eggplant, use a whole large yellow pepper, and a bunch
of scallions.

2.  I don't measure parsley or lemon peel.  For 4 people, I use 1/3 a
bunch of parsley and a lemon's worth of peel.

3.  If you don't want to use wine, you can use the same amount of
lemon juice.  I always use wine.

4.  The recipe originally called for large shrimp.  I use medium.  I
think it works better.

5.  I usually use 2-3 oz of feta for a 2 person amount.  (The exact
amount depends on how many protein exchanges I have left for dinner.)

In a 12 inch non-stick skillet, heat oil, add eggplant and cook, stirring
frequently, until browned on all sides. (the recipe says about 2
minutes.  It's really about 5.)  Add yellow pepper, scallions and
garlic and saute until vegetables are softened, about a minute.  Add
remaining ingredients except shrimp and cheese..  Reduce heat to medium
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.  Add shrimp and saute
until shrimp turn pink.  Add crumbled cheese, heat through, and serve.

I usually reverse the last 2 steps, since I don't mind the cheese
melting completely, but I really mind the shrimp overcooking.

2 Servings, each serving = 4P, 3.5 V, 1 Fat, 15 optional calories.
		(or for non-Weight Watchers, 273 calories, 28 g
		protein, 9 g fat, 18g carbohydrate, 348 mg sodium, 204
		mg cholesterol)

I serve this over rice, usually a 1/3-2/3 wild rice/white rice combination.
(1 cup rice = 2B)

 ------------------------
Turkey Chili(adapted from Weight Watchers Favorite Recipe Cookbook)

Makes 2 servings (one serving = 2.5 proteins, lots of vegetables)

7 ounces ground turkey
1 small green pepper
1 small onion
2--3 cloves garlic
1 hot pepper (optional or to taste.  I use 2 serarno or 1--2
jalape\~{n}a pepper)
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon vinegar (I use rice vinegar, but any plain vinegar
should do)
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt to taste

Instead of the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste you can use either 1
cup tomato sauce and 1 cup water or 1 cups tomato sauce.  When I have
it, I use 2 cups enchilada sauce and adjust the spices.

Spray large non-stick skillet with sides or non-stick saucepan with Pam.
Heat over medium-high heat.  Cook onions, peppers, and garlic until
onions begin to be translucent.  Crumble in ground turkey and cook
until browned.  Add all other ingredients and simmer for 25-30
minutes.  After first 5 minutes, adjust seasonings to taste.

NOTE:  Sometimes I add 1/2-3/4 lb mushrooms with the green peppers as filler.
 -------------------

NUT MUFFINS

3/4 cup flour
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
6 TBSP + 2 tsp powdered milk
1/4 cup nut butter
1/2 cup + 1 TBSP buttermilk
1 egg

Combine first 5 ingredients.  Cut in nut butter with pastry knife or
fork (or combine in food processor.  Combine buttermilk and egg and add
to above.  Stir (process) until blended.  Do not overstir. Spray
8/12ths of a muffin tin with non-stick spray and bake at  400 degrees
for 15-20 minutes.  Slightly underbake so the muffins remain moist.

Serving size 2 muffins = 1 bread, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1/2 milk, 50 optional

MUFFINS

3 eggs
1 banana mashed
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 slices of diet bread, crumbled
1 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp raisins

Mix bananas, vanilla, and eggs.  Add crumbled bread and beat until
smooth.  This operation is easier with an electric mixer.  Add all
other ingredients except raisins and mix (by hand) until smooth.  Add
raisins and mix until smooth.  Do not overstir. Spray a 12 muffin tin
with nonstick spray (butter flavored Pam works nicely) and bake at 350
degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Slightly underbake so the muffins remain
moist.

Serving size 4 muffins = 1 bread, 1 protein, 1 fruit, 1 milk.

 ------------------

>From: andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel)
Subject: Re: Cranberry-Orange Muffins anyone?

Here's one I came up with, which started out as a Weight Watcher's
freebie handout but got heavily modified once I got my mitts on it ;@)

Each muffin has about 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp oil in it.  I got best
results from using some sugar and some OJ, but feel free to play with
it if you decide to delete the sugar (you'd probably want to delete the
1/4 c water and increase the OJ concentrate to 1/2 c.)

Cranberry/Orange Bran Muffins
=============================

9 ounces (weighed) oat bran
1/4 c dark brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
2 tsps grated orange rind (or about two oranges' worth)

1/4 c frozen OJ concentrate, thawed
1/4 c water
3/4 cup Eggbeaters
4 Tbsp safflower oil

1 cup chopped cranberries

Preheat oven to 425.  Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners (warning:
these don't want to release unless you do!). Mix first group together,
then mix in cranberries, then mix wet stuff and combine all briefly
(usual muffin techniques).  Divide evenly and bake about 15 minutes, or
until a toothpick comes out clean.

Weight watcher's info:  each muffin counts as
  1 bread, 1 fat, 1/4 fruit, 1/4 protein, 15 optional calories

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664

 -------------
 Crunchy Chocolate Banana Bars
 -----------------------------

This started out in Weight Watchers up in LA, my sister gave it to me,
and I modified it some.  I've been making it quite often, since it's
quick and easy, I usually have the ingredients sitting around, and it's
a relatively guilt-free way of quelling chocolate urges!

makes 2 large servings (ww:  each = 1 fruit, 1 milk, 1 bread, 20 optcals)

2/3 c nonfat dry milk (reg or instant is fine)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghirardelli, Hershey, Droste...)
1.5 tsp sugar
1 very ripe (even overripe - it gets sweeter) medium banana
1/4 tsp chocolate extract
1.5 oz (about 6 Tbsp) GrapeNuts cereal, or clone

First, spray a piece of foil or small cookie sheet with Pam.

Mix the first three ingredients together.  Mash the banana until
thoroughly wet, mix in extract, then stir together with the dry stuff
until it all gets absorbed (yes, you can use your hands, it's fun!).
Stir in the grape nuts.

Form into two bars on the foil or cookie sheet, and freeze.  (If you
make it after breakfast, it's ready before lunch!).

Hint:  you can drop this by rounded tbsp and make eight "bonbons", and
nibble them throughout the day for a quick chocolate fix!

Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles (makes 48 small truffles)
===========================
(Weight Watchers:  makes 16 servings of 3 each,
                   each svg = 1/2 EACH protein, bread, fat exchange
                              1/8 milk, 15 optional calories)

1.25 c evaporated nonfat milk
.5 c hazelnut butter
2 Tbsp honey
16 (2.5" square) honey graham crackers, finely crushed in blender
7 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa (you'll have 2 Tbsp left over)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp chocolate extract

Combine evaporated milk, nut butter, and honey in a medium saucepan
with 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp water.  Boil over medium heat, whisking
constantly, until dissolved.  Stir in graham cracker crumbs and 2 Tbsp
cocoa, and cook about 2 minutes or until blended and thick.  Scrape
into a blender or food processor, add extracts, and process about 2 min
or until perfectly smooth and creamy.  [WARNING:  this is REALLY thick,
and will stall puny machines!] Put in a bowl, cover tightly, and chill
at least 4 hours (overnight is better).

Sift remaining 5 Tbsp cocoa into a shallow bowl.  Working quickly,
scoop out by roughly 1/2 Tbsp (somewhere around 1.75 tsp), roll lightly
into a ball, drop into cocoa and roll to coat.  Put into a container
where they can sit in a single layer without being squished (if you
have to make two layers, use some waxed paper to separate).  When all
done, you should have 48 truffles with about 2 Tbsp of cocoa left
over.  Chill truffles until firm.  [They will stay softer than
commercial ones.]

Note:  this was originally a Chocolate Peanut-Butter Truffle recipe,
but I far prefer hazelnut.  I think any nut butter would work - next
time, I'll try almond butter, which might give a Chocolate Marzipan
effect!

>From: andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel)

This is a recipe I developed the first couple weeks on Weight
Watchers.  My husband also likes it alot, and he isn't trying to lose
weight!  It's actually easier than it looks, and individual portions
reheat well in the microwave so you have lunches all week!

TURKEY RELLENO CASSEROLE (8 servings. Per serving:
========================= 3 protein (incl. 1 cheese and 1/2 egg)
                          1/2 fat
                          10 optional calories
                          multitudinous (>2) veggie exchanges)

1) 	1 lb ground turkey

Brown and crumble, drain well of all fat.  Set aside.

2)	1/2 lg or 1 sm onion, chopped
	1 zucchini, grated
	1-3 cloves garlic, minced
	2 tsp olive oil

Saute in same skillet as used for turkey.  When fragrant, add turkey.

3) 	lg can peeled tomatoes
	7 oz bottle roasted red peppers (or equiv freshly roasted & peeled)
	2 Tbsp chili powder
	several cloves garlic
	1/2 - 1 bunch fresh cilantro

Put in the blender to make sauce (leave a bit chunky if you like).

4)	8 oz cheese, grated (something strong, like Jalapeno Jack or
		    	extra sharp cheddar)
     	large can Ortega whole roasted chiles

Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam.  Pour in 1/3 - 1/2 of the sauce to cover.
Take half the Ortega chiles and open them up with your fingers, and
line the pan with them.  Spoon the turkey mixture in an even layer.
Sprinkle cheese over it evenly.  Cover with a second layer of opened-up
chiles.  Spread the remaining sauce over the top.

5)	4 eggs, separated
	3 Tbsp flour
	1 Tbsp water
	pinch salt

Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt til stiff.  Stir yolks with the
flour and water.  Lighten the yolks by stirring in a spoonful of
whites, then lightly fold the yolk mixture into the whites.  Dollop
this mixture on top of the casserole and spread gently to even out and
seal the casserole.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, until it is bubbly and the top
is golden brown.

Enjoy!

Andrea's Chicken Waldorf Salad:
==============================

1 large or two small red apples, cored (leave peel on), cut in 1 cm cubes
juice of half a lemon
2 half chicken breasts, cooked and chilled (6-8 oz), cut in 1 cm cubes
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups diced jicama (peeled)
1/2 cup raisins

dressing:
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground allspice

Toss the apples with the lemon juice, then add the chicken, raisins,
and veggies.  Mix dressing together and then toss well with the rest to
coat.  Cover and chill several hours before serving.

Makes 4 servings, each = 1 fruit, 1.5-2 protein, 2 veg, 1 fat, .25 milk

Enjoy!  (This makes a great lunch, with some rye krisp or bread on the side)

From: <ames!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!Sammie@harvard.harvard.edu>

 This banana bread is really good, even my husband likes it and eats
 most of it. I freeze a few individually wrapped slices for myself to
 eat over the course of several days, otherwise I'd only get one or two
 slices before it was all gone. I make it with butter, since the
 calories are the same as margarine

 BANANA BREAD

	2-1/4 cups flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt
	1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 cup butter or margarine 1/2 cup sugar
	1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 3 very ripe medium-size bananas,
	peeled and mashed well 3/4 cup raisins

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray  a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Sift
 together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. In
 a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg
 and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with bananas
 to the butter mixture, beating gently after each addition. (Do not
 over mix or bread will be tough.) Stir in raisins. Pour batter into
 pan. Bake approximately 50 minutes, or until golden brown and a
 toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Cut
 into 12 slices. About 215 calories per slice. Exchanges: 1 bread, 1
 fruit, 2 fats, 45 optional calories.

 The next few recipes are similar to your banana bars. They use Alba
 drink mix, but I think non-fat dry milk, cocoa powder and sugar can be
 substituted. I can't drink the stuff straight, but I like it in these
 sorts of things. I like to eat these for breakfast.

 Snicker Bars

	2 envelopes chocolate flavor Alba drink mix 2 tablespoons
	peanut butter 1 medium banana, mashed 1 teaspoon vanilla
	extract 1-1/2 ounces Grape Nuts cereal (crunchy nugget type)

 Combine the Alba, peanut butter, banana, and vanilla in a small mixing
 bowl.  Blend thoroughly. Stir in Grape Nuts. Divide mixture into two
 equal portions. Shape each portion into a bar and wrap in waxed
 paper.  Or, if you prefer to eat with a spoon, pack each portion into
 a small (1/2 cup size) freezer container. Freeze overnight. Let soften
 slightly before serving.  Makes 2 servings, about 299 calories each.
 Diet exchanges per serving:  1 protein, 1 milk 1 fat, 1 fruit, and 1
 bread.

 Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

	1/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder 1 envelope chocolate flavor
	Alba drink mix 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 medium banana, mashed 2
	tablespoons peanut butter 2 teaspoons shredded coconut 3/4
	ounce raisin bran cereal 3/4 ounce Rice Krispies cereal

 Place milk powder, Alba, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Blend in banana
 and peanut butter. Stir in coconut, raisin bran, and Rice Krispies.
 Divide into two equal portions. Shape each portion into small balls.
 Chill overnight or until firm. Makes 2 servings, about 299 calories
 each. Diet exchanges per serving: 1 milk, 1 fruit, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1
 bread, 10 optional calories.

 NO BAKE COOKIES

	1       envelope chocolate or vanilla flavor Alba drink mix
	2       tablespoons water 3/4     ounce quick oatmeal 1
	tablespoon peanut butter

 Stir together Alba and water in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in
 microwave at full power until it just begins to boil.  Remove from
 microwave. Blend in oatmeal and peanut butter. Drop teaspoonfuls on
 waxed paper or roll into small balls. Makes 1 serving, about 243
 calories.  Diet exchanges per serving:  1 protein, 1 bread, 1 milk,
 and 1 fat.

 This recipe was passed out a couple weeks ago and I thought it sounded
 pretty good and I plan to try it, probably with some modifications.

 QUICK'N CACCIATORE

	1       4 ounce can mushroom pieces with liquid 1/2     cup
	diced green pepper 1       jar (15-ounce) WW spaghetti sauce
	1       teaspoon garlic salt 8       ounces cooked chicken,
	shredded 2       cups cooked egg noodles 2       ounces
	mozzarella cheese, grated

 In a medium bowl combine vegetables, spaghetti sauce and garlic salt.
 Fold in chicken and noodles. Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish, or
 individual 1-1/2 cup dishes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes,
 top with cheese and continue heating until cheese melts.

 Serves 4. Exchanges: 2.5 proteins, 1 bread, 1.75 vegetables, 15
 optional calories.

 --------

>From: andrea@hp-sdd.hp.com (Andrea K. Frankel)

My favorite is this recipe I developed on weight watchers:

 Tofu Chocolate Mousse
 ---------------------
makes 3 lg servings, each = 1 protein ex + 25 optional calories (WW)

9-10.5 oz drained tofu
1 c water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp instant coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp chocolate-orange flavoring (or 1 tsp chocolate extract+1/2 tsp
orange extract)
4 ice cubes (optional)

Combine water, cocoa, brown sugar, and instant coffee in a 2 c pyrex
measuring cup, sprinkle gelatin on top and let soften, then microwave
1-2 minutes until dissolved.  Pour into blender with tofu and extracts
and blend thoroughly til no lumps remain.

If using the ice cubes, add one at a time with the blender running
(cover the hole in the lid with your hand so you don't get it all over
the kitchen!).  It's fluffier, and sets up in 30 minutes, if you use
the ice cubes - without it, it takes an hour or two and is dense and
creamy.

Pour into 3 10-oz custard cups and chill.  (Or use wine glasses for a
fancier presentation)

Note:  I like to use Taster's Choice Maragor Bold, or an imported
espresso powder, rather than boring old generic instant coffee.

Note2: This isn't very sweet, because I prefer the bite of a
bittersweet chocolate dessert.  Feel free to increase the sugar to
taste, or substitute artificial sweetener if that's your style.

Maurine J. Neiberg (Maury)      	maury@mitre.org