[rec.food.recipes] MISC: Ice Cream Cake

green@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Tammy Green) (02/22/91)

In <1991Feb21.151751.1747@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> dnadler@ms.uky.edu (Dave Nadler) writes:

>I need a recipe for an ice cream cake.  Preferably made with vanilla
>ice cream (no weird stuff in the ice cream).  This is for a friend who
>does NOT (and no "junk" in her ice cream) like CHOCOLATE.  So any

I'm not sure about this, but a cookbook that I recently got recommended
what seems like a relatively painless way to make an ice cream cake.

It said to simply pick your favorite layer cake and make the layers as
directed.  I guess how many you make is up to you and how much cake you
want in with the ice cream.

To make layer(s) of ice cream, use the same pan and/or a pan of about
the same dimensions.  I guess here, too, you decide about how many you
want and how big to make them.  Anyway, the way you make these layers
is to use *softened* (not melted) ice cream of your favorite type and
mash it into the pan(s).  Put the pan(s) of softened ice cream into a
COLD freezer (the colder the better) to let them harden.

When the cake is absolutely cool and the ice cream is re-frozen, you
can then assemble.  I'm not sure what the best way would be, but if you
take Baskin Robbins for an example, they usually put a layer of cake on
bottom first.

Before putting on the top icing and trimmings, you might want to
solidify the stack a little by freezing it some more.  I would assume
that the decorations can be just regular butter-cream stiff icing, but
if you want a cover icing, I don't know exactly what that should be.
Baskin Robbins' tastes as if it's just regular melted ice cream spread
around it, but I don't have ANY idea how they keep it on the cake!!
:-)

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

 -- Tammy Green