[rec.food.recipes] LACTO: Beer Bread

leah@gatech.edu (L.A.Z. Smith) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb19.142033.1666@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
burton@acplmc.uucp (kathy burton) writes:

>I am looking for a recipe for Beer Bread.  I've been buying a mix that
>you just add beer to (a quick bread - no kneading) and I'd like to make
>my own dry mix.  Thanks!

I think this might be the thing you need.  For the "mix" just combine
the self-rising flour (or all-purpose flour plus the appropriate amount
of baking powder and salt) with the sugar.  Try it and see how it
compares to your mix.

BEER BREAD

2 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 12-ounce can beer (any type)
melted butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x5" loaf pan.

Mix first three ingredients together and pour into the loaf pan.  Bake
for 50 minutes.  Brush the top with butter and bake 10 minutes more.
(Bread does not rise very high.)

Remove the loaf from the pan and cool on a wire rack.  Makes one loaf.

(FROM: Recipe Swap, Pulitzer-Lerner Newspapers)

Not having any self-rising flour, when I made this I substituted 2 cups
unbleached all-purpose flour+2-1/2 tsp. baking powder+1/4 tsp. salt.  I
used a slightly smaller bread pan and Miller's beer (I think this might
be great with dark beer).

The result was a moist, dense loaf with a chewy crust and a good, sort
of malty flavor.  The bread doesn't rise much higher than the level of
the batter in the pan, so this isn't a good choice for say, sandwich
bread.  Leftovers stored in a plastic bag became unpleasantly moist,
but were very good toasted.

Another person on rec.food.cooking tried this recipe and said it was
better using three cups of self-rising flour (or all purpose flour plus
3-3/4 tsp. baking powder and 3/8 tsp. salt).

Be sure to grease the pan well or the bread may stick a bit.

This is an astoundingly easy and quick recipe for times you'd like hot,
homemade bread with dinner.

L.A.Z. Smith ...ast!smith!leah leah%smith@ast.dsd.northrop.com