[rec.food.recipes] VEGAN: Hummus

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/29/91)

In <1991Jan29.002601.17240@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
cindy@solan10.solan.unit.no (Cynthia Kandolf) writes:

>I am writing to request two recipes:  first, hummus (not sure of the
>[...]

Here are two recipes I picked up from rec.food.cooking sometime back:

===
	From: jon@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Jon Corelis)
	Date: 9 Jul 89 18:31:47 GMT

Most recipes for this appetizer call for dried chickpeas, which you
have to soak overnight and then boil.  This one uses canned chickpeas,
which turn out just as good and are an awful lot easier to use.

[ so for using dried garbanzos/chickpeas, substitute "15 oz. cooked
chickpeas" below -aem ]

		      Hummus

   Drain one 15-oz. can of chickpeas, reserving the liquid.  Place the
chickpeas into a food processor with 2 tablespoons of the liquid, 4
tablespoons of tahini, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic,
squeezed through a garlic press, and the strained juice of one lemon.
Process until smooth.  Serve on a plate, garnished with paprika or
black olives.

   Notes:  Chickpeas are also called garbanzos, and are available
canned in most supermarkets.  Tahini (sesame paste) can be found in
Middle Eastern shops and also in many health food stores;  the kind you
can buy in bulk from a big bucket is usually better than the bottled
kind.   I like to serve this with pieces of pita bread.

===
	From: curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl)
	Date: 14 Jul 89 16:01:57 GMT

50/50 is not quite right.  A glance at a typical recipe for hummus provides
the following:

    2 1/2 cups cooked garbanzos
    1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
    3 Tbls. tahini
    3-4 cloves garlic, minced
    salt to taste
    water (from cooking the beans) as needed for correct consistency

    blend well; garnish with parsley, olive oil and spicy paprika;
    eat with warmed pita bread and sliced vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers,
    turnips, ...)

I think if you increased the amount of tahini by a factor of 2 or 3,
you would be okay.  But 2 1/2 cups is more than 10 times as much!  It
might taste good, but it would be very different from hummus both in
taste and in texture.

===
[articles slightly edited for brevity and spelling -aem ]

cnorman@UCSD.EDU (Cyndi Norman) (03/01/91)

Hummus:

Ingredients:

Cooked chickpeas (you can use any amount but I will give instructions for
     approximately 32 oz.)
Garlic cloves (2-6, depending on taste)
Tahini/sesame butter (about 1 cup)
Lemon juice (about 3/4 cup)
Salt (to taste)
Fresh chopped parsley (about 1/2 cup)
Olive oil (about 1/4 cup or less)
Water (as needed--save any cooking water)

Instructions:

Cook chickpeas until soft (or use canned).

Blend or food-process chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and as much
water as you need to get the consistency right.  If your tahini is the
kind that doesn't pour, you may want to blend it too.  I don't
recommend doing this by hand.

Put into container and chill overnight (or until cold).  When cold, add
parsley and olive oil.  (Note: it's okay to put in parsley before
chilling or even in the blender for feeding to young children or others
who might choke, but don't add the oil until the hummus has chilled.)

Eat.  Serve with bread, crackers, raw veggies, etc.

tonse@csa1.lbl.gov (Shaheen Tonse) (03/02/91)

INGREDIENTS:
	   1 can garbanzo beans in water (drained).
	   2 tbsp. Tahini (Sesame paste)
	   3 cloves Garlic
	   Lemon juice

	Blend all ingredients until smooth. Garnish with black olives
	and paprika. Eat with Lebanese bread. Enjoy.

					Shaheen.

SOMMER@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (Hillel Sommer) (03/03/91)

Hummus Recipe - makes 15 servings.

1 lb. chick peas (see note as to canned chick peas)
1 container (15 oz) Tahini (Joyva and Krinos brands recommended)
lemon juice, cumin, salt, garlic, paprika - to taste.
1/2 tsp. baking soda (unless using canned peas)

1. Soak chick peas for 8 hours or overnight.

2. Drain; cook in slowly boiling water +  baking soda for 1.5-2 hours,
until peas are easily mashable. Without baking soda, cooking time is
approx. 3 hours.

3. Mash chickpeas with fork (better) or in food processor. wait 15
minutes.

4. Add all other ingredients, and about 3/4 cup of the water in which
the peas were cooked.

5. Garnish with tahini sauce, paprika, parsley and/or whole cooked
chickpeas.  Serve with pita bread. Excellent as a dip, or a spread on
meat sandwiches. superb with steaks, kabobs and other grilled meat.