[rec.food.recipes] OVO-LACTO: Pete's Corn Bread

bellas@ttidca.tti.com (Pete Bellas) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar08.043420.1951@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
rduff@evax.uta.edu (Robert Duff) writes:

>I am going to cook chili for my roommates this week, I was wanting to
>know of any good from scratch or store bought mix corn bread recipes.

There are many types of corn bread but the two most common are the
batter style that makes a kind of crumbly corn bread cake (Marie
Calendars makes a good commercial mix for this) or the bread style,
which is what I prefer.  The following recipe is portioned for an
automatic bread machine but I have made it by hand also.

Pete's "Great with Chili" Corn Bread

1 packet yeast (2 1/2 tsp)
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 egg
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 1/4 cups warm water

Procedure:

o Mix all ingredients into a dough ball and kneed for 10 minutes.

o Place dough in a greased bowl in a warm dark draft free place and let
	rise till double (about an hour).

o Punch down and kneed for about 5 minutes.

o Place dough in a greased bowl in a warm dark draft free place and let
        rise till double (about an hour).

o Divide dough into two portions and form into loaves, place into
	two greased loaf pans and let rise 30 minutes.

o Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes (golden on top).

o Enjoy!

			-Pete-