[rec.food.recipes] LACTO: Thai Iced Coffee

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/19/91)

Okay, I found a real recipe for Thai Iced Coffee.  This was posted by Scott
Fisher (sfisher@abingdon.SGI.COM) on February 16 of 1989 in rec.food.cooking.

===start===
This is a derivation-from-memory of a recipe that I first read some two
years or so ago for Thai iced coffee (that lovely stuff that I can
drink for hours on end while I'm slurping down panang and pad thai):

Makes 1 8-cup pot of coffee

6 tablespoons whole rich coffee beans, ground fine
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander powder
4 or 5 whole green cardamom pods, ground

Place the coffee and spices in the filter cone of your coffee maker.
Brew coffee as usual; let it cool.

In a tall glass, dissolve 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar in an ounce of the
coffee (it's easier to dissolve than if you put it right over ice).
Add 5-6 ice cubes and pour coffee to within about 1" of the top of the
glass.

Rest a spoon on top of the coffee and slowly pour whipping cream into
the spoon.  This will make the cream float on top of the coffee rather
than dispersing into it right away.

To be totally cool, serve with Flexi-Straws and paper umbrellas...

One other fun note: I got a fresh vanilla bean recently and put it to
good use by sealing it in an airtight container with my sugar.  The
sugar gets the faintest vanilla aroma and is incredible in Real
Chocolate Milk (TM) and iced coffee.

One final note: this would probably be even better with iced espresso,
because the espresso is so much more powerful and loses its taste less
when it's cold.

===end===

aem

mcbryde@karazm.math.uh.edu (Jack McBryde) (03/19/91)

THAI ICED COFFEE

The recipe I have calls for:

1/4 cup strong French roasted coffee
1/2 cup boiling water
2 tsp   sweetened condensed milk

Mix the above and pour over ice.

I'd probably use less water and more coffee and milk.  (But then I
prefer Vietnamese coffee.)

jane@sequoia.execu.com (Jane Bagley-McMaster) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar19.144351.3531@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
myz@eng.sun.com (M ) writes:

>I'm looking for directions to make this drink.  It contains some sort
>of coconut milk or something with strong coffee and whole ice cubes.
>If anyone knows how this is made I'd appreciate a reply.

The french coffee served at the Vietnamese restaurants here in Austin
make it with condensed milk, very strong coffee, and the ice.  It is
brought to the table in small glasses with the condensed milk in the
bottom and a small drip coffee maker atop that. Once the coffee has
completely dripped down you stir it up and pour it in a glass of ice.
The one place where I have had Thai coffee brought it to the table
already mixed but it had the same flavor.

Jane Bagley-McMaster