[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Lima Bean and Mushroom Chowder

uribe@jarthur.Claremont.edu (Soprano) (04/07/91)

Sheri Hastings wrote:

>...One more recipe I would like to find - lima bean soup (great with
>cornbread and butter milk!!!)

I don't know if this is the recipe you had in mind, but it's the only
lima bean soup I know.  The recipe came from some old sailing buddies
of my husband; they used to make this up in advance and take it along
on weekend cruises....

Lima Bean and Mushroom Chowder (serves 6)

3 or 4 slices bacon			1 10-oz package frozen lima beans
1/2 cup chopped onion			1/2 clove garlic
1 qt chicken stock			1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried sweet basil		1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano			2 cups half-and-half
1 cup diced carrots			1/2 tsp dill weed
1 cup diced potatoes			1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces and fry in a heavy kettle until crisp.
Lift out, drain and reserve until ready to serve chowder.  Drain off
all but 1 tbsp of the bacon drippings.  Add onions and cook until
lightly browned.  Add chicken stock.  Crush basil and oregano and stir
into soup.  Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, lima beans and garlic.
Stir in 1/2 tsp of salt and the pepper.  Simmer until vegetables are
tender, about 30 minutes.  Just before serving, add the half-and-half.
If needed, add the remaining salt.  Heat to simmering, but do not
boil.  Sprinkle bacon pieces & dill weed over chowder, and serve.

Lydia M. Uribe                                uribe@jarthur.claremont.edu