[rec.food.recipes] MEAT: Creole Gumbo Pot

epstein@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Milt Epstein) (04/09/91)

In <1991Apr07.163456.6501@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
andy@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Andy Bond) writes:

>Having just concocted something resembling gumbo this weekend, I wonder
>if anyone has a real recipe for it?

Well, I don't know if the following is "real" gumbo, but I do know it
is "real" good, and not hard to make at all.

And given the new guidelines on posting recipes from cookbooks, I'll
mention that this recipe is from "The Book of Hot and Spicy Foods" by
Louise Steele, published by HP Books, and if you like spicy food, this
is a GREAT cookbook.

                             CREOLE GUMBO POT
                             ----------------

1 small eggplant                      2 tsps salt
3 tbsps olive oil                     1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded, diced           1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsps paprika                        1/2 tsp hot chili powder
4 ounces fresh okra                   3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
2 cups boiling chicken stock          1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes in tomato juice
2 tbsps long grain white rice
8 ounces peeled cooked medium-size shrimp, thawed if frozen
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
fresh dill sprigs, if desired

Trim stalk end from eggplant.  Cut in 1/2" pieces and place in a
colander.  Sprinkle with 2 tsps salt; let stand 30 minutes.  Rinse
under cold water and drain well.

Heat olive oil in saucepan.  Add eggplant, onion, red pepper and garlic
and fry over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in paprika
and chili powder and cook gently 2 minutes.

Trim stalk ends from okra and discard.

Add okra, corn, chicken stock and tomatoes to eggplant mixture.  Break
up tomatoes with a spoon.  Stir in rice, cover and simmer gently 25
minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.

Add shrimp to mixture and heat through 5 minutes, stirring
occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with dill sprigs,
if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Of course, feel free to play with the amount and variety of spices you
add.

Enjoy!

Milt Epstein epstein@cs.uiuc.edu