[rec.food.recipes] DRINK: Sangria

MEDELMA@CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (04/05/91)

This is an authentic recipe for Sangria as taught to me by my older
sister who made it when we threw parties when our folks were out of
town. Oddly enough, we both survived to adulthood. Anyways:

1 bottle red wine `
1 bottle white wine
1 bottle club soda
2 cups sugar
3 oranges and 3 lemons, sliced thin (unpeeled).

Mix ingredients in plastic garbage bucket. Cover. Let sit overnight.
Serve over ice.

One leftover gallon of this exploded one morning while our family
slept.  And guess who had to clean it up...? Motto: Don't cork it: it
keeps fermenting.

      --mike edelman

laurahs@sco.com (Laura Segall) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr03.153515.12675@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
fred@milton.u.washington.edu (Fred Nick) writes:

>Does anyone out there have a great recipe for sangria? There are
>several restaurants in our area which serve this glorious concoction of
>red wine / fruit juice / liquor (brandy or ?) and fresh fruit. A very
>different beverage then what you get from the screwtop bottle versions.

	I have an excellent recipe I got from a high school spanish
teacher many years ago.  This is a pretty open recipe, and very adaptable.

Sangria

2 lemons
2 limes
4 oranges
3 apples
1 large container of frozen strawberries
	(this can be either the whole, unsweeted type,
	 or the sugared halves.  I prefer the latter.
1 bottle of cheap burgundy wine (don't waste your money
	on good stuff)
orange juice (unspecified amount)
brandy  (unspecified amount)

	Slice lemons, limes, oranges, and apples into thin slices,
leaving the skin on.  Put them into a large pitcher. (You may need two
pitchers) Dump defrosted strawberries on top of the rest of the fruit.
Pour the wine into the pitcher, so that it covers the fruit.  Cover,
and put in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 4 hours.  After the
fruit has marinated, stir in orange juice and brandy to taste,
depending on how strong you wish the sangria to be.  If it is bitter,
add sugar to taste.  I usually do, then again, I like everything sweet.

	Serve in large clear glasses with the fruit in the glass.
People are expected to put their fingers in and eat the fruit as they
drink the wine.  This is not a high society drink.  Several glasses and
you will not care anyway.

	This is an excellent drink for parties.  Serve with an array
of finger appetizers.

Mail me if you have comments about this recipe.

		-Laura