[rec.food.recipes] CHICKEN: Chicken and Dumplings

cplma@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Lynn M Alford) (04/08/91)

In <1991Apr06.004156.16082@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
hastings@jpl-devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Sheri Hastings) writes:

>HELP !!!   My grandmother used to make the most wonderful chicken and
>dumplings. They were fattening but delicious. She was a Pennsylvania
>Dutch woman who lived in Kentucky.  That sort of background really

I'm not quite sure how thick your grandmother might have made this but
I would start with a chicken and a quart of water then boil the chicken
until it is easy to remove the flesh from the bones.  Remove it from
the pot and let cool.  While the chicken is cooling, add spices to the
pot (parsley, celery seeds, salt, etc.) and whatever vegetables you
would like (carrots, celery, etc.).  Remove all the meat from the
chicken bones and put the meat in the pot.  Start the pot boiling
again.

Now in a bowl, you want to stir together 1 1/3 cups of flour (not
self-rising), 2 t of baking powder, 1 t chopped parsley, and 1/2 t of
salt until these dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed.  Now measure 2/3
c milk and 2 T salad oil into a cup.  Slowly stir this into the flour
mixture until a soft dough forms (try to avoid stirring for too long.)
Drop dough by heaping tablespoons on the chicken stew.  Cook them for
ten minutes uncovered and then ten more minutes covered.  Serve.

(Dumpling recipe is based on the Good Housekeeping Cookbook, ed. by Zoe
Coulson.  Chicken recipe is just based on throw it into the pot till
done. :-) )

(Query would any one be interested in seeing a Peaches and Dumplings
recipe?)

Lynn

lindah@sequent.uucp (Linda Hoover) (04/11/91)

Chicken and Dumplings (German/PennDutch Background):
	1 large chicken without innards
	2 large onion (sweet)
	1 small head of celery (w/heart)
	4-5 qt water
	Salt and pepper to taste
	3-7 cloves garlic
	Paprika (makes it a beautiful golden color)

	Set all of this to boiling about 3 hours before you intend to
	serve.  Veggies should be cut up into SMALL cubes.  Boil for at
	least two hours until the meat on the chicken falls off the
	bones, remove meat from broth, and pick all meat from the
	bones.  Return the meat to the pot and turn down to a simmer.

	Make a light baking powder biscuit recipe (I use Fanny Farmers)
	and add an extra 1/2 cup of milk.

	Bring pot back to a rolling boil, drop biscuit sized dough from
	spoon into pot, making sure that they stay separate (at least
	by a little broth).  Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

	These should be served piping hot with "Green Beans with Bacon
	and Onion" and a veggie tray.

Homemade Egg Noodles:
	2 Cups of White flour
	1 egg
	Pinch of Salt

	Put the flour on a clean counter in a peaked pile, with a
	spoon, make a dent in the top of the flour for the egg.  Break
	the egg into the flour and mix thoroughly (hands only - no
	forks).  Knead vigorously until the dough is fairly stiff.
	Roll thin and slice into noodles with a dull table knife
	(pressing the noodles apart rather than cutting apart.  Leave
	on counter for 1-2 hours to dry.

	Should be boiled in the soup, only 8 min. before serving.